STAR TREK 2d20
Page 5 of 28 First ... 3456715 ... Last

Thread: Effects library

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfoot
    Would be cool if you could set an effect of 'evil' or something and then 'IF:evil then AC:2;SAVE:2' or something like that.
    You'd have to add evil to the condition list in data_common.lua, then (in theory) it would work like that.

Perhaps add align_evil, align_good, align_lawful and align_chaos as conditions?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    If it worked... what would the correct syntax be?
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

If it worked... what would the correct syntax be?
    FG doesn't like underscores (_) in a condition name. But, it works fine with "alignevil", "aligngood", etc..

Example:
    • Add "alignevil" to the conditions list in data_common.lua
    • For a Paladin's Smite Evil ability (Paladin level 3, CHA bonus +2) make an effect: Smite Evil; IFT: alignevil; ATK:2;DMG:3
    • Add a condition to evil creatures of "alignevil".

When the Paladin activates their Smite Evil ability, the GM decides if the target creature is evil and if so adds the alignevil condition to the NPC. The Paladin adds the Smite Evil; IFT: alignevil; ATK:2;DMG:3 effect to their PC, whenever they do an attack or damage to a target (IFT = If Target has the following condition) with the alignevil condition then the effects will occur.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Of course, a really nice way to do this would be when an NPC was added to the combat tracker, the current code that calculates effects be modified to look at the alignment of the creature and set GM only visible conditions based off alignment. e.g. a Devil was added to the CT, alignevil and alignlawful were added as GM visible conditions to the creature.

Then a PC could cast Protection from Evil (for example) on themselves and add the following effect:
    Code:
    Protection from Evil; IFT: alignevil; AC:2; SAVE:2
    This is something I've just learnt about the IFT conditional effect - it work in reverse too, i.e. "If you are being targeted by a creature with this condition" as well as the normal "If you are targeting a creature with this condition".

Blog Entries
    What is the difference between the IF and the IFT?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe
    Of course, a really nice way to do this would be when an NPC was added to the combat tracker, the current code that calculates effects be modified to look at the alignment of the creature and set GM only visible conditions based off alignment. e.g. a Devil was added to the CT, alignevil and alignlawful were added as GM visible conditions to the creature.

Then a PC could cast Protection from Evil (for example) on themselves and add the following effect:
    Code:
    Protection from Evil; IFT: alignevil; AC:2; SAVE:2
    This is something I've just learnt about the IFT conditional effect - it work in reverse too, i.e. "If you are being targeted by a creature with this condition" as well as the normal "If you are targeting a creature with this condition".
    Well.. if you are going to bother to mod the 'add to tracker' function.. you might as well leave out the whole condition aspect of it and just have a way to target alignment...
    Then you could just go IFT: evil; AC:2; SAVE:2 for protection from evil and it would 'know' what that meant.
    The monster already knows it is evil without the condition being added to it... just need a way for combat to look it up.

The monster already knows it is evil without the condition being added to it... just need a way for combat to look it up.
    The mechanism in FG is to use conditions and effects for all things like this.

Have you ever noticed that things like DR, immunities, etc. are parsed when the creature is added to the CT and applied as conditions and effects?

As an example of this, add a Vampire to the CT and you end up with the following effects:
    Code:
    FHEAL: 5; DR: 10 magic and silver; Undead traits; RESIST: 10 cold; RESIST: 10 electricity; DMGTYPE: magic
    This allows FG to cover all bases - effects/conditions that are part of the creature statblock and then anything added by spells etc.. You don't want to have to code in 2 places when an effect is being used in combat (i.e. look in the creature statblock and their effects/conditions).

So, in our example, parse out the alignment when it is added to the CT and then you won't have to code to check the alignment in the creature statblock every time an effect needs to be checked.

Condition labels are great - parse them out once and then use them as the label - the underlying code doesn't need to know where to go to check if "alignevil" is valid or not, it just checks to see if the creature has the alignevil condition true or false, simple! :-) No messy parsing through statblocks every time the results of an effect needs to be analysed - do it once when the creature is added to the CT: parse once, use many! :-)

What is the difference between the IF and the IFT?
    IF means: If the creature with the effect on them has this condition then it is applied. I can't really think of too many 3.5E examples of this - but in 4E there are a few examples, like a barbarians rage being stronger when bloodied. So, the barbarian would have an "IF: bloodied; XXXXX" conditional effect on them,

IFT is as explained in my post above: "If you are being targeted by a creature with this condition" as well as "If you are targeting a creature with this condition" - with my 2 examples of a Paladin's smite evil (targeting a creature with the alignevil condition) and protection from evil (being targeted by a creature with the alignevil condition) - both of these are covered by IFT: alignevil on the Paladin or the recipient of the protection from evil spell.

Is there anyway this could be done?

Type poison (ingested); Save Fortitude DC 14

Frequency 1/minute for 6 minutes

Effect 1d2 Str damage, target can attempt one save to cure a lycanthropy affliction contracted in the past hour; Cure 1 save
    How would this effect be added in? Or is it just too complex a situation?
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Blog Entries
    Well.. you can roll the d2 STR loss and apply it as:
    Lycanthropy;STR:-2 or whatever...
    then keep increasing that number as the victim's STR dwindles.
    Plus you can do a Lycanthropy generic effect with a timer that ticks off until they are out of luck... the rest pretty much has to be done manually.

Thread Information