DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Entering NPC data

I'm entering an NPC and all of the powers are showing up as traits. A screen shot of the data I entered is attached. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?
    Last edited by csander9; December 8th, 2012 at 23:28.

I don't see anything wrong off hand. Does it still look that way after you close the padlock in the bottom left? If so try closing the monster and then re-opening it. I've noticed in the past that some changes don't seem update until after you closed and opened the monster completely.

You are right. It just needed to be closed and re-opened to refresh.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by csander9
    I'm entering an NPC and all of the powers are showing up as traits. A screen shot of the data I entered is attached. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?
    Hi, how did you enter this in FGII? I'm trying to create some NPCs but don't know how to make them look like that. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalvenin
    Hi, how did you enter this in FGII? I'm trying to create some NPCs but don't know how to make them look like that. thanks.
    anyone?

It's hard to tell exactly what you don't know. To enter a new NPC in the 4E ruleset inside of FG start a campaign and click the NPCs button, then on the NPCs list click the New "tag" at the bottom left then fill out the NPC. This is most useful for a specialized monster not in a Manual or Module somewhere.

You can also manually build a library module in an XML module which is probably faster with large numbers of monsters rather than filling out all the forms because you can cut and paste - but you have to know the XML layout and how to make modules by hand.

Finally the fastest and easiest way to get monsters out of monster manuals and WotC adventures to use in FG is to parse the DDI data base. Buying a month subscription to DDI so you can parse the monster manual, WotC adventures, and dungeon magazine monsters will save you hours and hours of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre
    It's hard to tell exactly what you don't know. To enter a new NPC in the 4E ruleset inside of FG start a campaign and click the NPCs button, then on the NPCs list click the New "tag" at the bottom left then fill out the NPC. This is most useful for a specialized monster not in a Manual or Module somewhere.

You can also manually build a library module in an XML module which is probably faster with large numbers of monsters rather than filling out all the forms because you can cut and paste - but you have to know the XML layout and how to make modules by hand.

Finally the fastest and easiest way to get monsters out of monster manuals and WotC adventures to use in FG is to parse the DDI data base. Buying a month subscription to DDI so you can parse the monster manual, WotC adventures, and dungeon magazine monsters will save you hours and hours of work.
    Thanks. I think I'm going with the month subscription to DDI and using the parser... I saw a video on how parse NPCs but haven't found one on wotc adv, magazine monsters, etc. But... how do i do this in an xml file if i manually want to add an NPC from a magazine, etc? Thanks to all for your help.
    Last edited by Nalvenin; May 8th, 2013 at 22:05.

There are two 4E parsers. Valeros item parser now does monsters and it is the most recent so it would be the best one to use right now. The DDI database includes monsters from Dungeon Magazine and all the published adventures adventures so you don't really need to do anything to get them.

If you wanted to add a special NPC/Monster you only wanted to use in just one adventure you would normally just add it manually using the form inside the a campaign. If you wanted to add a monster you were planning to use often in a campaign then it would probably be worthwhile to add it to a monster library module.

Its not real difficult to do this but it would be easier to do so if you already had a library module of monsters so start with. The basic idea is the parser first scrapes the monster data from the DDI database and puts it in a text file. Then it uses the text file to build the two XML files needed to make the monster module. Finally it makes the FG module by compressing the files together.

Its possible to add you new monster in either the text file or one of the XML files. There are some small tradeoffs either way - the text file is a bit less human readable if you don't know HTML, but once you get the monster input the parser will make the XML and Module for you. The XML is probably a bit more human readable, but after adding the monster you will need to zip the files manually to make a module. Either way works but both are easier to do the first time if you already have a text file or the XML file generated by the parser.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre
    There are two 4E parsers. Valeros item parser now does monsters and it is the most recent so it would be the best one to use right now. The DDI database includes monsters from Dungeon Magazine and all the published adventures adventures so you don't really need to do anything to get them.

If you wanted to add a special NPC/Monster you only wanted to use in just one adventure you would normally just add it manually using the form inside the a campaign. If you wanted to add a monster you were planning to use often in a campaign then it would probably be worthwhile to add it to a monster library module.

Its not real difficult to do this but it would be easier to do so if you already had a library module of monsters so start with. The basic idea is the parser first scrapes the monster data from the DDI database and puts it in a text file. Then it uses the text file to build the two XML files needed to make the monster module. Finally it makes the FG module by compressing the files together.

Its possible to add you new monster in either the text file or one of the XML files. There are some small tradeoffs either way - the text file is a bit less human readable if you don't know HTML, but once you get the monster input the parser will make the XML and Module for you. The XML is probably a bit more human readable, but after adding the monster you will need to zip the files manually to make a module. Either way works but both are easier to do the first time if you already have a text file or the XML file generated by the parser.
    Wow... thank you for the explanation. It's a lot clear to me now. I will get the DDi sub and start working on this this weekend. Thank you.

Thread Information