STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Question

Question

Hey dose anyone know if there is a smartphone app for FG2 available or in the works?
    PFS ID: #42488 Ultimate License Holder
    Dolby Axon ID: John/Djmaxx
    Skype Account Name: halo.sierra117
    TS3 name: Djmaxx
    Windows live email: [email protected]

To have everything is to have nothing at all.

There is no smartphone app currently for FG. We would love to have an FG smartphone app, but the smartphone platforms and web platforms are not powerful enough for the way that FG works. Therefore, the tabletop would need to be redesigned from the ground up for web or smart phone platforms and would more than likely be a subset of the current features, which is why we don't have one yet.

Regards,
    JPG

Also: HAVE YOU SEEM HOW MUCH SPACE YOU NEED???????????? especially as a GM? I use two monitors atm! And Im complaining about lack of space.... now I hold before me, my smartphone and wonder... hmm..... it would be a pain I think.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_wizard
    There is no smartphone app currently for FG. We would love to have an FG smartphone app, but the smartphone platforms and web platforms are not powerful enough for the way that FG works. Therefore, the tabletop would need to be redesigned from the ground up for web or smart phone platforms and would more than likely be a subset of the current features, which is why we don't have one yet.

Regards,
    JPG
    I was referring to the forums not the system. having one for the system would be cool but its not practical. I am not home very much so being able to check the site without having to use the web browser.

It's something that I have sporadically checked into myself.

We run a fairly old version of vBulletin, which is not supported by the forum apps out there. The challenge is that we would need to migrate the forums to a newer version at minimum, or possibly a different platform (phpBB, etc.). It just has not been worth the risk/reward possibilities, since we don't want to interrupt our community here and don't want to potentially lose any forum data.

Regards,
    JPG

Having ran into that exact issue MANY times over the years. I can tell you with utmost certainty that you CAN NOT migrate from vBulletin to any other forum without losing at minimum some profile data.

Typically it is MUCH more catastrophic loss than that.

However I have ran every single vBulletin upgrade and only lost data from a handful of plugins going from 2.x.x to 3.x.x ... and you do not use the plugins in question. However I would like to suggest that you think about using some of them at some point.

The big one being the experience mod. Not because it serves any real purpose, but just because it fits well with the theme of a gaming forum. The other one is an IRC based chat and msging app. More than anything else because I can't stress enough the added value of live chat when trying to setup a game.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_wizard
    It's something that I have sporadically checked into myself.

We run a fairly old version of vBulletin, which is not supported by the forum apps out there. The challenge is that we would need to migrate the forums to a newer version at minimum, or possibly a different platform (phpBB, etc.). It just has not been worth the risk/reward possibilities, since we don't want to interrupt our community here and don't want to potentially lose any forum data.

Regards,
    JPG
    possibly run both the new and the old concurrently, asking people to move themselves over to the new system when they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Willot
    possibly run both the new and the old concurrently, asking people to move themselves over to the new system when they can.
    That might work but doing that would also show who dont use the site and we would lose people once they shut down this site.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unerwünscht
    The other one is an IRC based chat and msging app. More than anything else because I can't stress enough the added value of live chat when trying to setup a game.
    Actually.. the Community Teamspeak Server emulates this kind of function quite nicely... you can use it to setup games or communicate with players via immediate voice or text chat.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfoot
    Actually.. the Community Teamspeak Server emulates this kind of function quite nicely... you can use it to setup games or communicate with players via immediate voice or text chat.
    Only if the people are on Team Speak other wise you cant.

Thread Information