STAR TREK 2d20
    Blog Entries

Language Extension

Hi Guys,

Ive tested Tenians Language Extension along with Trenloe and Callums updates with the beta release of the new Castles and Crusades ruleset being worked on by Dr_Venture.

Does anyone have any languages they would like supported?

How does it work?

The CK enters the following in the Chat Window:
    /lang dragon Tremble mere mortals as you hide in the shadows!

Those that do not have Dragon listed as a language in their character sheet see the message in arcane looking runes while anyone who does know Dragon sees both the runes and the translated version. It can add a really nice touch to your game.

So I have the following languages:

abyssal
    celestial
    draconic
    kobold
    druidic
    dwarven
    elven
    sylvan
    giant
    gnome
    goblin
    gnoll
    halfling
    lizard
    orc
    undercommon
    common

Does anyone want to include some additional languages? Say from Greyhawk or Teh Forgotten realms or Aihdre?

Quote Originally Posted by damned
    The CK enters the following in the Chat Window:
    /lang dragon Tremble mere mortals as you hide in the shadows!

Those that do not have Dragon listed as a language in their character sheet see the message in arcane looking runes while anyone who does know Dragon sees both the runes and the translated version. It can add a really nice touch to your game.
    FYI - it's not just the CK who can do this - players can do it too. If the PC does not have the language in their list they will be told they don't speak the language and what they said won't be passed on.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Cool - I think in the original version it was only available to the GM?
    Also I note in your version there is no Other/Default language...?

Cool - I think in the original version it was only available to the GM?
    Not sure about the original, original version. The version I started work with supported players.
    Also I note in your version there is no Other/Default language...?
    I tried to cover off all of the possible languages (I'm sure I missed some) - but I made the concious decision of not switching to a default font if the language name used was not on a fixed list. My reasoning being, for example, what happens if a player types "elf" rather than "elven"? I'd rather have the player told "you don't speak 'elf'" and they can check in their language list than sending out a default font that only the GM gets the translation of.

With hindsight, I should have added a specific "other" font so that GMs could use: "/lang other You will die horribly!" to send the message in a font that none of the players will understand.

Of course, the key thing with this extension is that all of the players use the same language names on their character sheet - easy for the GM to check though.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Understand on all fronts.
    I think it is just such a cool feature.
    Even if you dont use text chat in game you can always deliver the inscription over the tomb or a note on a scrap of parchment this way and it adds a nice touch.
    All the players that cant read it have to go thru the one who can to find the info.

Understand on all fronts.
    I think it is just such a cool feature.
    Even if you dont use text chat in game you can always deliver the inscription over the tomb or a note on a scrap of parchment this way and it adds a nice touch.
    All the players that cant read it have to go thru the one who can to find the info.
    It certainly is cool and has quite a few uses.

It also allows players to simulate in-game "whispering" to only other PCs that they speak the language of.

Thread Information