FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    I think to me the biggest hitch is the players have to buy the books as well, I don't think to many folks are keen into buying a ruleset they may or may not play.

Blog Entries
    its true - to get the best experience the players need to buy the rule-set
    its also true that many players baulk at this

however I don't understand that way of thinking. the rule-set costs less than a movie ticket, not that much more than a meal at maccas and they will spend many, many hours playing it. how much easier does your game run when you have a full featured rule-set - it saves so much more than $10 worth of time - and coding your own rule-set off a free edition is going to take many dozens or hundreds of hours.
    i know, i know, each to their own - i personally just don't get it.
    i only started playing castles&crusades BECAUSE there was a full featured rule-set available on fantasy grounds. i wanted something i could use and use quickly and easily... that's just my experience.
    dr_venture is currently working on some updates and i am thoroughly looking forward to buying the rule-set again (i have no idea if it will be a free upgrade or not but either way i'm going to buy another copy) as a tiny vote of thanks. his time is valuable - to me

whichever way you go - so long as you are having fun its all good

Talysian, I hear ya. Compared to other rulesets that might cost a bit more but give the players more access, I think your observation is definitely valid and relevant. It's an interesting tactic the Troll Lord (I assume it was their decision) has taken on this ruleset. Basically, I think they've gambled that more folks will be willing to kick in $10 because they're not only getting the ability to have a better player experience, they're getting a complete, playable ruleset they can GM (I don't know if you're a C&C player, but the equivalent of the DM's guide for C&C is completely optional - you only need the PHB and Monsters book that come with teh FG ruleset). Perhaps they're thinking this will in turn drive more sales of C&C-related merch as folks adopt the game? Dunno...

My personal justification to my players is usually that for less than half the price of a Player's Handbook for the current version of D&D (something that most players I've had in face-to-face games wind up purchasing anyway), they get the entire basic game. YMMV, of course
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

I am, I own physical copies of all their books I really agree if they made it so just the gm had to purchase even if they raised the price by ten dollars, it would probably make getting a game together on here much easier.

Blog Entries
    hi talysian - fwiw none of my players have bought the rule-set either so it means its often quicker for me to drag items and spells into teh character sheets for them... it doesnt stop any of us playing but it does add 10mins to every game session.
    i would certainly be onboard a more expensive gm rule-set that allows players to access it while connected...

Feature request for the update, something I've been thinking of, you know how the castlekeeper guide has the option for prime / secondary / Tertiary would it be possible to add another row of check boxes in for tertiary?

Secondary stats (and thus Tertiary stats) has already been implemented as a new feature in the 3.0 ruleset that is under development. So it's on the way... hang in there, it's a-commin'.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Need a playtester?

There might be room for a play tester in 1 of the two games that I know of that are being run with the 3.0b ruleset (I know have room for 1 more player - Greyhawk, alternating Fridays), but I think we're set right now for people writing bugs and running games. I do *very much* appreciate the offer, though!

No problem I as more offering to test out as far as running, I would have offered sooner but I've been away from the forums for a long while.

Thread Information