DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 51 of 54 First ... 414950515253 ... Last

Thread: 4E Item Parser

The OGL, SRD and GSL are basically just licenses to breath. You can't actually copyright a game mechanic. I deal with this constantly with the apps created by our company. At the same time where the parser fails is that it copies all the text over directly from wizards resources. If we had a resource that dealt with just the mechanics and left of the fluff text out that should comply with not only the OGL, SRC, and GSL, but overall U.S. copyright law as well.

Might also be worthwhile for wtoc (who are still selling their pdfs at a hefty price on drivethrurpg.com) to have a digital resource api available, or at least allow access to redistribute the xml of all their data (for those of us who have it) for others to make use of in the growing market of digital tabletop gaming.

Think I'll make a few inquires.

I agree that game mechanics can’t be copyrighted.

The issue with the FG 4E ruleset is that the standard descriptive text used in powers etc. is parsed to create the relevant FG automation. Hence the parser didn’t "fail" in the way it was implemented, it’s a requirement to have the whole text in FG records for the data to actually do something in the ruleset. Entries aren’t written in FG code, they’re standard descriptive text - which is covered by copyright, even though in this case it indirectly relates to game mechanics.

Who knows what WotC might end up doing. For a while it seemed they weren’t interested in AD&D FG conversion, but they changed their mind about that.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Does anyone know if this parser works with the files from the offline compendium or only the now non-existent online one?

Unfortunately this will not work without the compendium to scrape. It would need to be reworked to use a different source like the offline compendium, and I am not sure it's developer would be still interested in doing that work.

So there is no way for me to do this now? I have the offline compendium and would like to add the modules. I have just started using FG and am still getting used to the interface and everything.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SB Ostling View Post
    So there is no way for me to do this now? I have the offline compendium and would like to add the modules. I have just started using FG and am still getting used to the interface and everything.
    There are currently no bulk loading tools available for 4E. You can enter everything manually (copy paste etc) or you could look to one of the tools for the other rulesets and see about writing your own. Basically what you have to do is convert from the format you have (I don't know if the off-line compendium data is accessible or in a usable format) and then convert it into FG xml format.

For someone who has done all that before it's 'easy'. For me, I would just enter by hand what I need when I need it.

Unfortunately, it comes down to you playing a system that is not particularly popular right now so their isn't much community support for it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

The main issue is that WotC specifically didn't release 4E under the OGL or any similar license. So you can't create community content for it - even if you wanted to.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

hey.
    I have this program and it wants me to log in, but when i hit the account button, it just takes me to a black page and dose not load anything.
    any suggestions?

I suggest reading even just this last page of posts. This tool will no longer work as the online compendium is no longer in existence

Dose any one know where i may fined the 4e mod?
    Or any other way of getting them?

Thread Information