FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 43 of 54 First ... 33414243444553 ... Last

Thread: 4E Item Parser

Just started a download of all the backgrounds now. Depending on how long stuff takes, it may be tomorrow before I can give you any good feedback. The reader executable appears to work as intended at least.

I've just started running the file parser executable, and the text in the boxes doesn't have any line breaks in it, so I can only read the first bit of the text. I was at least able to read the contents of the first box by opening the executable in a text editor and searching for the right line of text, but that could probably do with being fixed. Also, how do I use the valid sources text files? Do I create a valid sources file and select that as one of the sources when selecting all the downloaded text files, or does the program just detect that the file exists in the same directory? Finally, what's the difference between the three different types of modules? Does it actually matter which of the three I use?

Oh, incidentally, while the reader executable works fine under wine, it crashes if I try to run it using mono instead - because linux uses a '/' instead of a '\' for file directories, it can't find the contents of the SearchResults directory. Doesn't make a massive amount of difference, in all honesty, but it seemed worth mentioning.

Edit: Ah, on rereading, the valid source text file just needs to be in the same directory.
    Last edited by mrgrey; April 18th, 2017 at 16:09.

1) I think a smarter person than me needs to answer about db.xml vs common.xml vs client.xml. My simplified version is:
    db.xml: For DM. Cannot share.
    client.xml: For Player. Can share. Each client needs file.
    common.xml: Can share from host

Basically, pick db.xml

2) Sorry, the path issue is my fault for not following the .NET guidance. I will fix when I have time.

3) Seems like you figured out how to use "Valid Sources.txt"

Hopefully you now have some 4E modules for use

damned, Thanks, good to know. I had gone by this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...hread.php?6446. I did not realize it was no longer valid. So then I should take the option away and always have the parser make a common.xml module, correct?

Blog Entries
    From Zacchaeus himself I got -

I think all three are still recognised by FG but client.xml is now deprecated in modules.

Db.xml defaults to read only (i.e. DM material such as a DM Guide or an adventure module) and common.xml defaults to player such as a player's handbook. Db.xml will give a red cross on the module list for the DM and common will not have either a red cross or a green tick (giving the DM the option to share or not).

So db.xml for DM only material and common.xml for player material and don't use client.xml.
    So me personally Id lean towards common.xml unless there is stuff that you are parsing that is strictly GM only.

Quote Originally Posted by valeros View Post
    I posted a new parser that outputs the mundane items twice. One output is formatted with cost as "string", the description as "flavor", and a "mitype" field. Those entries are under "reference.items" along with all the magic items. The other output is the same as before. Those entries are under "reference.mundaneitems". Going directly to the module works as before and references the old window types ("referencearmor", "referenceweapon", and "referenceequipment".) Going through the Items interface now also works.

Understood as 4E is not a money-maker for FG anymore. All the work you have done so far is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for the help.
    Hi Valeros,

After updating to the latest version I received the error previously discussed.
    So if I understand correctly after the 3.3.0 update reparsing the data should resolve this error?
    Ruleset Error: windowcontrol: Database type mismatch for control (cost) in windowclass (item_stats_other)

Thanks for the great work on the parser

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    So me personally Id lean towards common.xml unless there is stuff that you are parsing that is strictly GM only.
    There's a new player option in the Export window in FG. Do a test using that and see what it creates.

For GM material parsed, it should be db.xml.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

To clear something up for people having problems with the following error.

@Ruleset Error: windowcontrol: Database type mismatch for control (cost) in windowclass (item_stats_other)

If you are receiving this error your 4e parsed data is using the wrong Database Fields.
    As detailed by Moon Wizard (click here for info)

How to fix
    Step 1: Find if you still have your raw parsed data.
    Have data:: Use the Compendium Reader and File Parser to re-parse your existing data.
    Don't have data: Parse data from your subscription again.
    Step 2: Praise Moon Wizard and valeros for being awesome.

Thread Information