DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 11 of 54 First ... 91011121321 ... Last

Thread: 4E Item Parser

Added Classes and Races.

Changed backgrounds to be like feats (so they can be added to a character sheet.)

Fixed "Augment" keyword issue with powers.

Fixed flavor text on Themes, Paragon Paths, and Epic Destinies.

Note: three different approaches taken for Themes vs. Races vs. Classes
    1) Themes, Paragon Paths, and Epic Destines: Parsed out features as links with no feature text in main entry.
    2) Races: Parsed out features with links and left feature text in main entry.
    3) Classes: Did not parse out features but left feature text in main entry.

(In all cases, the powers are broken out as links with no power text in the main entry.)

Here was my thinking:
    At first (Themes, Paragon Paths, and Epic Destines) were broken out with features working like feats/powers because that was requested and was how Tenian's parser did it.

Then as I parsed Races into features, I realized most features were very short. Since the text of the feature was very short, it was more painful to open the parsed feature power than to just see the feature text in the entry. But since I had already parsed, I left the parsed feature powers in the entry, but also left the feature text in the entry.

As I parsed Classes, since the Class power containing all the text (and powers) about the class in contained in the entry, and thus is available for easy perusal, why break about the features as feature powers? It does not seem to add any additional value. Previously with Tenian's there was not an overall entry containing all the info about a class (to my knowledge anyway) so you needed each power and feature separately. This way you do not.

Added "easy" buttons for making a Player's module or a Dungeon Master's module

Hi!

Kudos to you sir! With these last additions, I doubt I will ever use the old parser again!

I have reduced the contents of the compendium to about 6 books using your parser. My players not only love it, but loading times are significantly reduced using a few books compared to the nearly 20 I had open at one time.

Pure efficiency!

Primarch

Parser file format

Hello, what is the format of a file for the parser to recognize it? IE: npc.xml

The parser only accepts files created by the parser when you download entries.

When you dowload Compendium entries, it leaves a file name "<module name> <number of entries> Entries <date>.txt". (For example, "Monsters 5170 Entries 2013_0421.txt") That file has the downloaded entries. You can select multiple of these files if you want.

It accepts these files so that you do not have to download again from the website when you want to combine entries in different ways or if the parser changes to fix a bug or add an enhancement.

Quote Originally Posted by valeros
    The parser only accepts files created by the parser when you download entries.

When you dowload Compendium entries, it leaves a file name "<module name> <number of entries> Entries <date>.txt". (For example, "Monsters 5170 Entries 2013_0421.txt") That file has the downloaded entries. You can select multiple of these files if you want.

It accepts these files so that you do not have to download again from the website when you want to combine entries in different ways or if the parser changes to fix a bug or add an enhancement.
    Thank you for the clarification.

I remember using the old parser and remembering how clunky it was. This new one looks really nice and easy to use.

Perhaps you fine gents can help steer me in what I'm doing wrong. Unfortunately, mine seems to crash every time I get so far into a scan. I'm on Win 8 pro, 64 bit.

1. I click "Add Dungeon Master Entries"
    2. It gathers the entries. Takes a minute or two. This is a screenshot of the final result:

3. So far so good. I enter my email, and password of DDI, click "Download and Parse Selected Entries" and we're off.

4. It seems to scrape quite a few files, probably for about half an hour to an hour and then it always crashes. The program freezes and I get a, "Parser has stopped working." error.

I've tried using just 1 browser, 5 browsers, and ten browsers. Not really sure where the issue lies or what steps I should take from here on. I'm going to try and run it again and if it errors up I'll take another screenshot of what happens. Cheers. : )

Fantasy Grounds 2 Ultimate License User
    Player and GM for D&D 3rd, 4th, 5th, Pathfinder, New World of Darkness (Vampire, Mage, and Hunter), Nobilis, Savage Worlds, Legend of the Five Rings (4E), Eclipse Phase, Burning Wheel, Mouseguard and Microscope.

1) Keep the data file that is produced. It should be named something close to "4E Dungeon Master's Guide 6530 Entries 2013_0521.txt"

2) I would bet that the issue is something about Windows 8 or IE 10. The HTML pulled from the compendium probably does not look the same as when using WIndows 7 or IE 9 or earlier. The parser is really picky about the HTML because I wanted to be sure I parsed everything because the entries are very inconsistent. If you are willing, please email me ([email protected]) the file mentioned above and I will see if it is an issue with the HTML being different. If so, I may be able to adjust the parser to handle depending on how different it is. But if you have another computer with Windows 7 or IE 9 or earlier, I would try it on that computer.

3) Also, if you are not even getting the file, then try doing each type (e.g., poison, races, etc.) individually and see if that works. You can always combine the results later with the file capability. See if something small like poisons work.
    Last edited by valeros; May 22nd, 2013 at 06:27.

1) Keep the data file that is produced. It should be named something close to "4E Dungeon Master's Guide 6530 Entries 2013_0521.txt"

2) I would bet that the issue is something about Windows 8 or IE 10. The HTML pulled from the compendium probably does not look the same as when using WIndows 7 or IE 9 or earlier. The parser is really picky about the HTML because I wanted to be sure I parsed everything because the entries are very inconsistent. If you are willing, please email me ([email protected]) the file mentioned above and I will see if it is an issue with the HTML being different. If so, I may be able to adjust the parser to handle depending on how different it is. But if you have another computer with Windows 7 or IE 9 or earlier, I would try it on that computer.

3) Also, if you are not even getting the file, then try doing each type (e.g., poison, races, etc.) individually and see if that works. You can always combine the results later with the file capability. See if something small like poisons work.
    I was going to add to try doing just one selection, like a magazine or monster vaul and see if that works... this is a BIG file with everything.... since it's going to take long, any little interruptions in communication can cause it to stall...

Actually you are right. It was some sort of conflict with either my windows or my browser. I've tested it on another PC and got the download finished and installed. Thanks though Valerous. This parser is simply amazing for making these less complex.

Fantasy Grounds 2 Ultimate License User
    Player and GM for D&D 3rd, 4th, 5th, Pathfinder, New World of Darkness (Vampire, Mage, and Hunter), Nobilis, Savage Worlds, Legend of the Five Rings (4E), Eclipse Phase, Burning Wheel, Mouseguard and Microscope.

Thread Information