DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 53 of 54 First ... 34351525354 Last

Thread: 4E Item Parser

Is it possible to get back those .txt from the .mod file?

Not legally, no. The online compendium that the Parser used to scrape is no longer available. I wouldn't know how to make it work with the offline compendium either so we're stuck :P

Quote Originally Posted by spite View Post
    I wouldn't know how to make it work with the offline compendium
    With the power of Python Scripts!

Let's take time to expose a little context through a (too much) detailed backstory. See a few weeks ago a player (and long time friend) got to attend to a “computer programmation formation” held by his company to expand employee skills during these confined times.

They learned python and since I work in software development for 8+ years now I saw that as a cool opportunity to show him how useful it can be. The coding exercises he had to do in his formation were really dull and pointless so I offered him an “special assignments” little more exciting and challenging : scripts to convert data from the “offline compendium” to Fantasy Grounds modules.

For those who never heard about the offline compendium, it was a way to access the online 4E compendium without internet. It was great for us since we have a tradition of playing in a large farmhouse without internet access (+ it had way better research feature). Nowadays since the online compendium has been shut down by WotC it became the only way to access all 4E data and many DM made the migration before the shutdown (here is a video for more details https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNDze9Ok5fE).

So, since I’m not a BBEG and I did not want to throw my newfound student to an unachievable task, I decided I would make the first two scripts to import NPC, POWERS and FEATS (that would later serve me as examples when teaching him how to it himself) and then ask him to make remaining scripts for non magical base ITEMS (others, armors, weapons).

full size: https://i.imgur.com/dKLVdlD.png

Turns out he had a blast doing it, and so did I. And as you can see above we managed to integrate even though the code quality is clearly not state of the art, it worked ! All 5000+ Monsters, 9000+ Powers, 3000+ Feats and non magical base items are available for us to play with. For the Westmarch game I recently launched, it’s really great. With these 6 modules you have everything you would need to start a campaign, for you as DM you have monsters to build encounters with. For your players, easy drag and drop powers, feats, weapons, armors and other basic items into their character sheets.

So here I am with a few scripts that could help many of those still playing 4E and are eager to use FG for it but are refrained because the lack of easily integrated modules. In the following days I will clean up and share these scripts, maybe make a tutorial on how to use them. So my question is a bit more for the moderators out here, would you allow me to post a link to these scripts here? And if so, since it might be great for a lot of 4E FG users, could you link these scripts on the first post of this thread?

tl;dr; I want to share the scripts I wrote and used to create FG modules from 4E Offline Compendium but I am not quite sure if it’s okay to do so.
    Last edited by VegaFontana; July 16th, 2020 at 21:54.

VegaFontana, Very nice!

I am not the definitive source but from everything I have seen on these forums is that you can post your scripts. You just cannot post the actual 4E data.

And I would recommend just making your own thread so that it is owned by you and no one has to go through the 50 pages of old and no longer relevant info (and has a better and more meaningful thread name.)

The moderators have the ability to "sticky" your new post.

I hope a lot of people used the 4E offline tool.

Also, I am jealous that based on what you wrote above, you seemed to have not had nearly as much trouble as I did with this. I never posted the code (written in C#) partially because it is so bad and because it so much (I can't remember exactly but I think it was over 10,000 LOC.)

Quote Originally Posted by valeros View Post
    you can post your scripts. You just cannot post the actual 4E data. [...]
    Well this is it, I'll bundle these scripts in an executable and post them :)

I would recommend just making your own thread [...] he moderators have the ability to "sticky" your new post.
    This makes a lot of sense yeah I don't know why I haven't thought about it, thanks!

you seemed to have not had nearly as much trouble as I did with this
    Oh well code is kind of bad here too, and a bit long, often farfetched but in the end it creates the db.xml files.
    The fact that I did it to teach things to a friend + the satisfaction when you see all the content showing up in FG have helped to create a good time for us :D

Blog Entries
    Yes, scripts are fine, they are your creation (please post a license with them, a pet request of mine!). Only the data itself is protected as other people's IP.

And yes, please start a new thread, once the script is posted, one of us will sticky it for everyone.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by VegaFontana View Post
    Well this is it, I'll bundle these scripts in an executable and post them
    Please tell us that this is still happening! I didn't miss it somehow, right?

Oh yes of course, but I want to do it right so that it's easy to understand how to make it work properly.

And this week has been huge between work, personnal life and running the game for my tables ^^'

But be sure it will arrive soon, I'd say between today and this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by YellowAdder View Post
    I didn't miss it somehow, right?
    You did not! But in case you might miss it now that it's live, here is the link to the post that displays how download and use these scripts:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...376#post528376

Is there source code for this item parser anywhere? I can not get the .exe to launch on Windows 10. I try and run the application and nothing happens. I have .NET 3.1 Runtime, as well as, other .NET runtimes installed.

Thanks

Thread Information