FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

That dang "?" icon... grrrr...

A sanity check for you GM's out there: do you really prefer that the default icon in chat that indicates roll are not shared with players is a question mark? I know these types of things are highly subjective, which is why I ask... but I just hate it, myself. To me, I see that "?" and think that something is unresolved or in question... like I should answer something. Obviously I intellectually understand, but it's just very unintuitive to me.

So what are your thoughts to just changing the "?" to the generic FG icon for something which cannot be seen by the players: the greyed-out eye icon (see attached picture). If there any reason that you can think of that it should remain a question mark? Does the eye icon make more sense to you guys?

Thanks.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Blog Entries
    Would prefer the greyed out eye myself.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

The greyed out eye makes sense now that the same icon is in the combat tracker. It has more intuitive meaning and would probably be more obvious to new users. The question mark is okay, but takes more thinking about.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Anything would be ok with me, as long as it's easier to see.

I had GM rolls set to hidden yesterday while working with a friends in making a character. It took quite a few rolls to realize that my rolls were hidden, because the grayed out ? didn't make enough of a visible impression to get my attention.

An eye sounds ok, what I want to vote for is something that grabs the GM's attention.

C

Heh, I have always wondered what the "?" meant (still newbie, have only run 2 sessions atm)... the eye makes more sense.. sure .

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought there was perhaps a better icon to use here. There are enough mysteries still left for me to learn in FG that I thought there might be a reason it's a "?" instead of something more intuitive. But since it's just an icon, this is happily a very easy issue to fix.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture

I suppose "You've hidden the roll and your players can't see it" is a little big to fit in to an icon.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

I personally have very little preference either way. I will point out the ? is still standard on all the other rulesets, but as Valarian pointed out the grayed out eye is pretty standard on most rulesets combat tracker. I think a "not" eye (universal circle with slash in red in front of a normal eye) icon might be more intuitive if you are going to make a new icon from scratch though.
    Last edited by Griogre; September 24th, 2012 at 08:34.

An icon of a dice dressed like a Ninja would be awsome . or a Ninja rolling dice .

I do agree that the 'greyed out' eye is not a perfect symbol, but at this point, from the few rulesets I've used (admittedly a small sampling), I've gotten used to that icon representing "not seen by the players." I'd rather not introduce another icon to represent the same thing (I don't mind replacing the "?" though, as it's kind-of meaningless to me, intuitively speaking... almost like having a triangle or a stop sign or something else almost random). Also, the greyed eye is a little less visually obtrusive than having a chat window full of red circles with slashes. For me, the greyed eye says it, but in an unobtrusive way.

As with most such things, YMM(APW)V... Your Mileage May (And Probably Will) Vary

Thread Information