DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: C&C UI question

C&C UI question

I'm working on the skin for the new ruleset - it's fun, and I already know how to do it. But I have a question for you CKs & players too:

What kind of icons do you like in the sidebar? Do you like them to have text labels right on them that you can read without hovering over them?

The new ruleset has even more buttons than before, and I want to make finding your way around as simple as possible. I'm working on just picture icons (much clearer than the old ones) but I'm not sure if the icon symbolism is going to be as intuitive to y'all as it is to me. Especially when you have Story Items, Maps, Notes, and Spells which all lend themselves to be indicated by little stacks of paper with different things on them.

The flip side is just using buttons with text on them - much more specific, but I guess less charming and fun to me. But maybe that's just me?

What do you guys prefer?
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Depends. Once I understand the symbolism, then I would rather have icons only. Up until I learn it, I would like both text+icon. Ultimately though, I would rather have each item linked to a key combo as I use key combos more often than anything.

Hmmm... I don't know if FG supports scripting for such events. It's not on the dev list this time around. I'm with you on the icon vs. text front, but I'm wondering what everyone else thinks, rather than just doing what I want to.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture

I'd rather have icons with a tool tip, personally. If you don't know what the icon is hover your mouse over it and read the tool tip. I think text based buttons can be a problem because you don't have much control over the resolution of the users screen and in the wrong resolution the text isn't going to be readable anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by damned
    i still click the wrong icons now after 2yrs use. just go with icons - and yes tooltips if possible.
    +1

Tooltips at the very least if possible. Some of the graphical UI components aren't a huge concern for me. I have had no problems changing the graphical elements that are displayed to suit my needs. Since I have added custom tokens to my game, I am familiar enough in using Paint.Net.

C

So far, so good - I'm currently using icons with tool tips that pop up.

Thread Information