STAR TREK 2d20
Page 12 of 13 First ... 210111213 Last
    I spent several hours testing different options. From PlayOnMac to the latest version 4.7 of raw wine installation. None of them seemed to make much difference on the startup/exit times. And, are increasingly complex solutions that will probably not help many people due to the difficulty to set up.

The biggest factor seemed to be once I put in my FG license and had all my extensions and modules in their respective directories, that's when things got slow. For people using the free client to play on someone else's game, I don't think the solution from FG is bad at all.

So, I am just going to use bootcamp until Unity is released. Luckily at the current time you can use bootcamp and use an unlicensed windows 10 install that just has registration nagging all over, but none of it seems to be interfering with fantasy grounds. This seems fine for the coming few months I need it, and will be easily removed once Unity is released.

Blog Entries
    Campaign startup time (all platforms) is heavily dependent upon the number of images and tokens available to the campaign. If you can limit those, it will help. In Windows (not a Mac user) I've noticed that Closing FG (from right mouse button, not window X) is quicker than closing the campaign and returning to the launch screen. Don't know why.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yes, I've also seen this. And, although in windows it does take longer. The mac/wine combo seems to exaggerate the situation. Startup on my older campaign with all the core D&D modules and a lot of homemade maps/tokens took nearly 2.5 minutes and appears frozen/crashed while waiting. I've even down-sized them all significantly to the point where the jpg compression is pretty high.

All this just takes a few extra seconds on windows. So, bootcamp lets me handle things for now and is a decent way of handling the situation although a little disappointing.

The campaign I have takes a while to start up and I am running MacOS high sierra, but it is a long running campaign.

I would try unchecking cross platform option in FG. I know that use to eat the cpu on my Mac and I’ve had success with it off.

I’ve had good success running FG just from the installer from the site and I’ve also run it using Wine 4.0.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    In Windows (not a Mac user) I've noticed that Closing FG (from right mouse button, not window X) is quicker than closing the campaign and returning to the launch screen.
    If you're using Mac, always exit FG via the FG desktop right-click menu - otherwise your campaign data won't be saved correctly.
    Last edited by Trenloe; May 10th, 2019 at 22:20. Reason: Clarified exiting option needed on Mac
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    If you're using Mac, always exit to the FG launch screen via the FG desktop right-click menu - otherwise your campaign data won't be saved correctly.
    Yep, Just to clarify, I was talking about the time difference uses the two exit/close options on the FG exit program radial menu;
    Screen Shot 05-10-19 at 01.20 PM.PNG

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by pico View Post
    Yes, I've also seen this. And, although in windows it does take longer. The mac/wine combo seems to exaggerate the situation. Startup on my older campaign with all the core D&D modules and a lot of homemade maps/tokens took nearly 2.5 minutes and appears frozen/crashed while waiting. I've even down-sized them all significantly to the point where the jpg compression is pretty high.
    I'm guessing this could be because the "C" drive is also all encapsulated within the wrapper, and when you start Fantasy Grounds it basically has to start up, get all of your data from a very large base file, create a virtual Windows C drive, access that C drive, etc.. The more files (and the larger they are) on that virtual Windows C drive, the longer Wine/PlayOnLinux etc. will take to start up.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    If you're using Mac, always exit to the FG launch screen via the FG desktop right-click menu - otherwise your campaign data won't be saved correctly.
    uhhh, that's bugged on Macs.

If you right click and return to Launcher, it bugs out and gets stuck.

You *have* to right click and Exit Program from the radial menu.

If you do the return to launcher, it will get stuck, then you will have to kill the program/force quit. Then you'll get a notifiers about campaign corruption

Quote Originally Posted by HuseyinCinar View Post
    uhhh, that's bugged on Macs.

If you right click and return to Launcher, it bugs out and gets stuck.

You *have* to right click and Exit Program from the radial menu.

If you do the return to launcher, it will get stuck, then you will have to kill the program/force quit. Then you'll get a notifiers about campaign corruption
    Good to know - thanks for clarifying.

I’ve also had problems with trying to return to the launcher with larger campaigns. If it is a newer smaller one it is fine, but with a long running campaign it will hang when trying to return to launcher so I just have to exit FG.

Thread Information