Starfinder Playlist

Thread: Scribe scrolls

Scribe scrolls

So I've put this on a a few sites but i thought i'd throw it up here too.

I'm going to quote the book on this because I've found a hole that need to be filled.

"A spell successfully activated from a scroll
    works exactly like a spell prepared and cast the normal way. Assume
    the scroll spell’s caster level is always the minimum level
    required to cast the spell for the character who scribed the scroll
    (usually twice the spell’s level, minus 1), unless the caster specifically
    desires otherwise."

"The spell must be of the correct type...
    ...The user must have the spell on his or her class list.
    The user must have the requisite ability score....If she meets all three requirements but her own caster level is lower than the scroll spell’s caster level, then she has to make a caster level check (DC=scroll’s caster level + 1) to cast the spell successfully..."

So from that...a level one wizard who somehow had a scroll of a spell that is level 4...which he can't cast, but meets all the requirements for casting FROM a scroll except the caster level can indeed try to cast it.

Now lets move onto making scrolls yourself to cast them.

ok...but a level 9 scrolls lets say ok? your rich maybe your interested in it whatever.

"A wizard can also add a spell to her book whenever she encounters one on a magic scroll...No matter what the spell’s source, the wizard must first decipher the magical writing..(use read magic)..Next, she must spend a day studying the spell....make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell’s level)....If the check succeeds, the wizard understands the spell and can copy it into her spellbook....but a spell successfully copied from a magic scroll disappears from the parchment..."

You now know a level 9 spell, but you can't cast it right?

"You can create a scroll of any spell that you know..."

Sooo...can you create this scroll even tho you don't have the proper caster level?
    you need a caster level of 17 to CAST a level 9 spell...lets look back to scribe scrolls.

"Assume the scroll spell’s caster level is always the minimum level
    required to cast the spell for the character who scribed the scroll
    (usually twice the spell’s level, minus 1), unless the caster specifically
    desires otherwise."

But you cant cast them and your caster level is only 1

Now from RAW you can scribe the scroll because you know it, but what happens to the spell in the scroll?

Also...if in some crazy way you raise your caster level from items and feats not even to 17...but lets say 5...not too hard...as a 1st level wizard you can easily cast 5th level wizard spells...right?

What have I missed if anything?

I found something in the dmg

"The creator must have prepared the spell to be scribed (or must know the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard"

So it is impossible...For a wizard...If you could perhaps get a sorcerer to learn more spell then it's still possible

You're trying to be a semantic lawyer with a game of fiction.

If your DM says your hair turns blue it turns blue. Best not to try to enforce a rule based on something you see but your DM might not. I think its reasonable that your can scribe a spell you can't cast yet into your spell book - real convenient for later. Scrolls you make are also a convenience because you can keep some spells always around and its a great source of treasure.

If you think scrolls should break the character spell progression and you should be able to cast more powerful spells simply because they are recorded on paper (or whatever), be prepared for scrolls to disappear from your game world.

I might be convinced that a truly heroic effort could stretch the rules but I think allowing wizards access to spells they can't cast just because they can write them breaks the rules.

Just my .02.

Sigurd.
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

It's not REALLY about trying it in game, just like pun-pun, just having fun with the published rules.

I thought i found a hole in using scrolls but i didn't and if i had no one would ever use it but i could report it to wizard for ruling ect.

and yes, the dm always rules no matter what the rules are really.

I don't really see it as a hole, (putting aside the fantasy portion for the sake of argument) I see it as a copying thing. You can copy an engineering blueprint if you don't study (or are still learning) engineering. You might not understand it enough to produce the item on the blueprint without the proper experience though.
    Fantasy Grounds II Full License
    Time Zone: US Eastern (GMT -5)
    Current Campaign: Greyhawk Classic Campaign/JohnD
    23 Years Playing experience 15 Years GM experience

Thread Information