FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

5e playtest character sheet?

Does anyone have a 5e character sheet for FG2?

If not what other options are available?

I was thinking of modifying the 3.5e or 4e ruleset. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    I am not aware of one, a 5E ruleset has not yet been created but its on my list of updates to release in the future (that unless JPG or someone else beats me to it. From looking at the current playtest material, the current 3.5E ruleset would be a closer fit than 4E I think so I will probably be creating an extension in the not too distant future to sit alongside Pathfinder.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Either the 3.5 or 4E ruleset works with 5E. I've used both to run games. The 3.5 ruleset has a bit better monster support than 4E and the 4E has a bit better character sheet support than 3.5 so its a toss up.

Basically, use the one you are more familiar with since neither has a clear advantage over the other.

Thanks!

The big problem right now is the skill die mechanic. They are no longer using the +3 for trained skills. It's now 1d20 +1dX.

I honestly don't mind rolling dice manually, but I would like to fix up the character sheet. Is it really all that hard to modify? I'm hoping there isn't too much of a learning curve, but I am a programmer.

Quote Originally Posted by lordsoth
    I honestly don't mind rolling dice manually, but I would like to fix up the character sheet. Is it really all that hard to modify? I'm hoping there isn't too much of a learning curve, but I am a programmer.
    There is a learning curve, definitely. But, if you're a programmer you should be OK - just be prepared to do a bit of reading at first - the ruleset modification guide being a good place to start: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/

First you will have to extract the base ruleset into a development ruleset. Decide which ruleset you want to use as your base. Go to the directory where Fantasy Grounds was installed (usually Program Files\Fantasy Grounds II - Program Files (x86) for 64-bit Windows), copy the 3.5E.pak or 4E.pak to 3.5e.zip or 4e.zip (don't change the base files, copy them first) then unzip to <Fantasy Grounds Data App directory>\rulesets. Rename the 3.5E or 4E folder to something like 3.5E_DEV. You will see this name as a ruleset option when you start a new campaign - 3.5E will be the base, unmodified 3.5E PAK and 3.5E_DEV will be your development ruleset.

To start, take a look at charsheet\charsheet_skills.xml in your development ruleset and the template_charsheet_skills.xml file that has templates used in the charsheet_skills.xml file - the onSourceValue LUA function has code to calculate the skill total, and the onDoubleClick function kicks off the action(draginfo) function which is the same as dragging the skill roll to the chat window - this is where the dice rolling occurs.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Actually, I was just looking at those xml files.

I guess once I wrap my head around the object model and I'll be fine.

I think I'll also look at adding an Advantage/Disadvantage mechanic. Ideally it would work like the GRANTCA effect, but I'm not sure if it can be done that way.

btw, does anyone recall how Twin Strike worked with the 4e ruleset? Did you have to roll the die twice or did FG2 do anything automatically for you?

Blog Entries
    @lordsoth - you may want to take a look at my 4E Fortune Card extension as an example, it mods the 4E standard character sheet adding a new tab to manage fortune card sets and adds some basic card action mechanics. I havent updated it since 2.9.1 but it should be ok as an example.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Well so far I have changed the skill tab and updated it with all the 5e skills.

I have one question for the skill rolling code in performRoll() in manager_action_skill.lua

rRoll.aDice = { "d20" };

can that be changed to something like

rRoll.aDice = { "d20+1d4" };

I noticed that I can perform two die rolls with

rRoll.aDice = { "d20", "1d4" };

Thanks.
    Last edited by lordsoth; February 2nd, 2013 at 04:18.

To throw the dice the following code is used:
    Code:
    Comm.throwDice(rRoll.sType, rRoll.aDice, rRoll.nMod, rRoll.sDesc, aCustom);
    Looking at the documentation for Comm.throwDice: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdo....xcp#throwDice

We see that rRoll.aDice is a list of die types to add to the roll. So, to roll 1d20+1d4 this should be used:
    Code:
    rRoll.aDice = { "d20","1d4" };
    Note, from this dice can only be added together you can't roll 1d20-1d4.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe
    To throw the dice the following code is used:
    Code:
    Comm.throwDice(rRoll.sType, rRoll.aDice, rRoll.nMod, rRoll.sDesc, aCustom);
    Looking at the documentation for Comm.throwDice: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdo....xcp#throwDice

We see that rRoll.aDice is a list of die types to add to the roll. So, to roll 1d20+1d4 this should be used:
    Code:
    rRoll.aDice = { "d20","1d4" };
    Note, from this dice can only be added together you can't roll 1d20-1d4.

ok thanks for the help, I'll read that part of the documentation

Thread Information