STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Blog Entries
    i played a bit of BECMI and AD&D1E back when they were new but then no gaming for 20+ years. really wanted to play a few games but struggled to find games in my tz that fit my schedule so opted to dm instead. i have many, many different games and every edition of d&d etc but only had experience with BECMI and 1E so I opted for C&C as it was described as having the 1E feel. i quite like C&C - it is relatively rules lite - mind you there is a full PHB, MM and CKG plus other manuals so there are plenty of rules if you want them - you just dont need them. you have character level advancement which provides your skill, combat and magic improvements while almost everything else is done with Siege (attributes - prime or otherwise) checks. there are plenty of additional rules but I prefer the players to role play the situation and ill throw in my checks where required....

as to creating a new rpg/ruleset - i see the attraction - i have three unfinished ones of my own (from 20+ years ago) - but i also think it just fragments the gaming community/pool every time. i think the ruleset matters less and less as time goes on....

I think there's always a place for something different and the systems I've been coming up with so far seem to be quite distanced and unique from the general core systems currently in use (at least the ones I am aware of ). I want enough familiarity that it still feels like the RPGs we love, but different enough to stand on its own.

As a GM I personally like a lot of rules that cover a lot of eventualities, but not so many that as a GM I'm basically just a glorified rulebook myself with no room for personal interpretation. For me the thing I love the most about some RPGs is when you're players begin character creation and there's so many cool things they just don't know what to pick, or there is conveniently (or inconveniently) just too little XP points to invest in all the starting skills you want. I'm not a big fan of "classes" and prefer a more open skill system myself, but I think it's important to have enough so that your players don't all drift to the same ones, enough choice that you have some very different characters instead of 3 out of 4 players all able to cover the same eventualities that might come up.

Combat I like a detailed system because whilst I as a GM am quite creative, this isn't always the same for my players; so it's nice for them to have a long list of things they can do. In combat I personally find this more ideal as opposed to the creative ones without a list of moves who always try and come up with crazy things to do in a fight, which can sometimes slow down the pace when you're trying to work how/if they can go about it.

Thread Information