DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Recomended Map Sizes

Hello,

I was just wondering what the recommended map sizes were? 800 x600?

Any help is appreciated.

I don't worry so much about the size l/w as much as file size. I try to keep all files around half a meg.

I've run with a 2520x3180, 1.1 MB file. I made sure that I loaded it whilst Players were logged on individually, making their PCs. Never had a problem running with it, once it was loaded to their machines.

However as Talysian mentioned, if I expect to bring in a map "on the fly" I'll try and keep it around 1/2 MB and at least under 1.

Previously: MurghBpurn

Murph's got a valid point if you have a map that you know for sure you are going to be using you can go bigger and preload. I open most of my maps and minimize them that I expect to use ahead of time, but do not share them until they are needed. I've also found that I am constantly updating the size of the map window for players with smaller monitors. I also keep quite a few maps ready in case players go off in left field. (which happens more often then not). these one's especially to minimize downtime I try to keep between 512-1 meg, then again I have a player who lives connects via mi-fi hotspots, so I try to keep bandwith down.

I use 1600 x 1200 maps with a 100 x 100 grid (5' square)
    it allows me to use larger more detailed top down tokens

for 90% of encounters I have plenty of room,

they are just over 1 mgb

If you pre-load you map its a good habit to mask it as well so you don't show anything you don't want to on a share. File size is key. I try to keep my maps less than 300K. A good rule of thumb is have the gird on the map about half to 2/3rds of the size of your medium sized tokens. You can zoom the map in slightly so the tokens fit in the squares and will save 25-75% on the file size.

On monitors its a waste to have more than 256 colors. Most map programs use 32 bit colors which is barely perceptible on a monitor compared to 8 bit colors. Taking the colors down to 8 bits gives you a map of about 1/4 the size of the 32 bit map.
    Last edited by Griogre; February 16th, 2012 at 00:39.

Thread Information