DICE PACKS BUNDLE
    Blog Entries

BUG: Ability Effects DO NOT increase Spell Durations that are Based on Abilities

If you have a spell whose duration is based on an ability.. the duration does not increase when the spell effect is applied.
    Example: Barbarian's Guarded Stance is based on CON
    Barbarian with a base +3 Con Bonus.
    Barbarian Rages.. Con Bonus Increases by +2 with the Effect.. CON: 4
    Barbarian Activates Guarded Stance.. Duration is 3 rounds. (should be 5 due to the Rage Con Bonus)
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

That shouldn't be a bug per se but rather by design. Effects only affect rolls and not the character sheet (ability scores from which the duration is derived).

If you're mainly concerned about Con and HP, I can recommend this extension which adds that functionality https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/19/view. Got a barbarian in my group and rage works just fine with this.

Blog Entries
    It is absolutely a bug. You didn't read the issue. It has zero to do with HP or CON in particular.. but any spell whose DURATION is based on an ability.

Effects can change abilities... effects change abilities for attacks and damage... but the bit that has been overlooked is that they can and should alter durations that are ability based.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfoot View Post
    It is absolutely a bug. You didn't read the issue. It has zero to do with HP or CON in particular.. but any spell whose DURATION is based on an ability.

Effects can change abilities... effects change abilities for attacks and damage... but the bit that has been overlooked is that they can and should alter durations that are ability based.
    I just tried to explain the reasoning for it not working how you wanted it to and linked a functional alternative to your listed problem.
    But it seems I'm wasting my time here with a person who's just here to discredit others.

Talking PF1 rules: in general, temporary increases to ability scores only apply to a certain subset of skills/abilities.

From page 554 of the Core Rulebook:

Ability Score Bonuses
    Some spells and abilities increase your ability scores. Ability score increases with a duration of 1 day or less give only temporary bonuses. For every two points of i ncrease to a single ability, apply a +1 bonus to the skills and s tatistics listed with the relevant ability.
    Constitution: Temporary increases to your Constitution score give you a bonus on your Fortitude saving throws. In a ddition, multiply your total Hit Dice by this bonus and add that amount to your current and total hit points. When the bonus ends, remove this total from your current and total hit points.
    Permanent Bonuses: Ability bonuses with a duration greater than 1 day a ctually increase the relevant ability score after 24 hours. Modify all skills and statistics related to that ability. This might cause you to gain skill points, hit points, and other bonuses. These bonuses should be noted separately in case they are removed.
    So, when we take this, with the additional understanding that FG effects only apply to attack, damage and heal actions; we can see that this is working as designed. The fact that Guarded Stance has wording that make it an exception ("... for a number of rounds equal to the barbarian’s current Constitution modifier..") doesn't make this a bug, it makes it an exception.

Seeing as you can only use Guarded Stance while raging, I suggest you modify the duration to adjust based off the usual rage CON adjustment - in your example by +2.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information