STAR TREK 2d20

Problem with token scale on map

Hi

I'm having a problem with pre positionning the tokens on the maps for the encounters.

I have looked at the tutorial, but can't manage to make it work properly.

I create an encounter, open the map, place the token resize them to the right size to fit the grid, select lock token scale, exit the map.

Then I go into the combat tracker, start the encounter by clicking the button at the bottom. Open the map and the token are present, but all back to there original size.

What do I do wrong?

I'm using all the .ext of DrZeuss.

Thanks for your help in advance

Nilliom,

I'm a little confused about the step where you "start the encounter by clicking the button at the bottom." At the bottom of the Encounter sheet (which populates the combat tracker with all your NPCs) or at the bottom of the combat tracker, itself (which I have no idea what it might do, as I'm not aware of anything that "starts the encounter" there)?

If you create an encounter using DrZ's Advanced Encounters extension; drag one token onto the map, zooming to fit grid and locking scale; drag the remaining instances of your NPCs to their places on the map, open the CT, click on the button *in the encounter sheet* that populates the CT all of your tokens should maintain their scale. *However* if you're also using DrZ's Enhanced Images extension, you need to make sure that when you place your NPCs from the Encounter onto the map that you are placing them in the Player layer, not the GM or Background layers. If you have placed tokens in any layer other than the Player layer, that *might* explain the loss of scale when you populate the CT. Just a thought.

good luck!
    gmkieran

EDIT: gmkieran got there before me...

How are you resizing the tokens when placed on the map before you lock the token scale?

If you are manually resizing each one using the CTRL-Scroll wheel then this size in will not be kept when you remove the tokens as this scaling is for individual tokens and is removed when the tokens are removed.

What you need to do is place the tokens on the map and then zoom in the whole map until the tokens appear the right size and then lock the token scale at that point. When you then zoom the map out the token size in relation to the map is kept the same. The possible problem with this is that all of your tokens have to be a similar size.

Blog Entries
    I made a video tutorial which steps through creating a simple battle map and encounter. The token pre-placement guide starts about 10-11mins in.

Let me know, if after following the video, it still results in incorrectly sized tokens.

FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

I was resizing the token with the CTRL and Mouse wheel. That must be the problem. But what will happen when I want to have for example on the same map a Dire Wolf and a medium monster. The DIre wolf is supposed to be 2 square x 2 square. If the token are all the same size at the start they will all continue to be the same size. Not the double. Or must I save the token in there proportional size at first so the Dire wolves at 2 square a side compare to the 1 square for normal monsters?

Thanks Dr Zeuss. I have look at your great video. I had just not understood that the token must be all the same size and the map would be resized.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    No worries Nillom. Yes FGII and the 4E ruleset uses a common scale for all tokens on a map. This means you either add you tokens to the tokens folder correctly scaled e.g. 50x50px for medium, 100x100px for large etc. etc. or you use a common size for all tokens e.g. 50x50px (recommended approach). Then for individual tokens which you need larger/smaller, you can scale their size manually from the CT by hovering over each CT entry's token and scrolling the middle mouse wheel (you may have to also hold down cntrl depending upon which settings you have enabled).

I typically use 50x50px for all my tokens and 50px grids for all my maps. This means for medium creatures I leave the token scales as is and for large creatures I can set the token scale (using the CT entry token scaling approach above) to 2.0. However regardless of whether I scale, the 4E ruleset will always set the underlay for each token to the correct size for the size of the NPC using its size field. So I sometimes just leave the tokens scale at 1.0 or 50px.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Thread Information