Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Blog Entries
    quick clarification:

Are you HOSTING games on both computers?
    If not then this is all irrelevant.

1. As players you dont normally need to make any changes to firewall. The only time this is not true is if you have setup a restricted firewall to start with that only allows specific traffic - in that case you do need to allow your LAN traffic to access internet hosts on tcp:1802 eg 192.168.1.0/24 ANY ANY 1802 permit (being source ip, source port, destination ip, destination port, action).

2. If one of your computers is hosting then use UPNP if that works. If that doesnt work setup a static NAT (PAT) to direct inbound connection on tcp:1802 to your host computers internal/LAN IP.
    Any other computers on the same LAN should use the host computers internal/LAN address as the host address in FG.

3. In the unlikely event that you have two computers on the same LAN that are hosting FG sessions for people not on the LAN then you need to do the same as (2) for first host computer and then for second host computer you will need to launch fantasygrounds.exe -p65535 (or whatever unused port you choose) and then test the UPNP or make the static NAT/PAT entries. Then the remote players connecting to that second host will need to specify its game port eg 65535.

I hope that does actually help and doesnt add more confusion!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    If you have UPnP on your router and you will only ever be hosting one game from your own network then you don't need to change ports on your computers and you don't need to setup static port forwarding.

Remove all port forwarding that you have already setup for port 1802 on your router and just let it use UPnP.

Of course, if you and someone else might be running 2 completely separate games as GM then you would need one of the Fantasy Grounds to use a different port number, but UPnP should still work for you.

And, by the way, if you still need to manually set a port number when you use the -p<port number> command *do not* have a space between the -p and the port number. e.g. -p1801 *not* -p 1801 Any player that is trying to connect to a different port than 1802 will need to manually set their port number too.
    I appreciate your help a lot, Trenloe. Thanks!
    I will only host one game at a time in my home. However, perhaps sometimes a friend will drop by and try to connet via my laptop.
    However, I did as you recommended! -p1801, with no space in between...!

I did all you told me and... Bingo! I hope it keeps working, though!

Thanks again and happy gaming for all!

Thank you, damned! Yes, I am hosting on both, but not at the same time. You helped a lot, of course, although I didn't catch all you said (hehehe)! You are GOOD.

I guess that, for while, UPnP worked. If I come to face new problems, do not go mad at me if I happen to ask more, will you? I am still leraning these stuff of connections!

Cheers!!

Thread Information