STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: The Decompiler

The Decompiler

Ok, so I am trying to add errata to a PHB that I have already parsed. I decompile the file, but to my dismay, the files are fubar. Nothing is were it should be. It loses the majority of the coding as well (<b><i> ect). All the paragon powers are screwed up. I dunno I dont get it. But really from what I can tell I need to start and rebuild the mod from the group up, which I really dont want to do. And scraping the compendium, while it may seem easier, doenst parse right for player stuff. Case in point are the paragon paths ect....

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by joseph.pimpo
    I decompile the file, but to my dismay, the files are fubar. Nothing is were it should be. It loses the majority of the coding as well (<b><i> ect). All the paragon powers are screwed up. I dunno I dont get it.
    You'll have to give us more than that to work on!

What do you mean by the files are fubar and nothing is where it should be? Perhaps give us an example of what you're trying to do - with example text from the xml file.

Blog Entries
    You can send me the PHB .mod file and I'll see if I can decompile it for you. I have various tools for reverse engineering modules.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Sure Ill send ya it. As for more information, dude, its really hard to be specific with all the information presented in the module. The best way that I figured it out was break it apart then put it back together again. The reference file takes the biggest hit followed by paragon and epic paths.

Dr. Z let me know where to send it to you.

As for more information, dude, its really hard to be specific with all the information presented in the module. The best way that I figured it out was break it apart then put it back together again. The reference file takes the biggest hit followed by paragon and epic paths.
    So, you're trying to change the parsed .txt files rather than the generated .xml file in the end .mod? Now I understand why you're lost! It takes a while to get used to the .txt file format.

I usually just extract the xml file from the .mod file (it'll be db.xml, common.xml or client.xml depending on what you selected when creating the mod), open this in an editor (I use the free Notepad++ with the XML extension) and then edit this directly. All the weapons are in the <weapon> section, all the powers are in the <powerdesc> section, etc... For example, here is the data for Cleave:
    Code:
    		<powerCleave>
    			<name type="string">Cleave</name>
    			<recharge type="string">At-Will</recharge>
    			<keywords type="string">Martial, Weapon</keywords>
    			<action type="string">Standard Action</action>
    			<range type="string">Melee weapon</range>
    			<source type="string">Fighter Attack 1</source>
    			<description type="formattedtext"><table><tr><td><b>Target:</b>One creature</td></tr></table><table><tr><td><b>Attack:</b>Strength vs. AC</td></tr></table><table><tr><td><b>Hit:</b>1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and an enemy adjacent to you other than the target takes damage equal to your Strength modifier.  Level 21: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage.</td></tr></table></description>
    			<shortdescription type="string">Target: One creature; Attack: Strength vs. AC; Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and an enemy adjacent to you other than the target takes damage equal to your Strength modifier.  Level 21: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage.</shortdescription>
    			<class type="string">Fighter</class>
    			<powertype type="string">Attack</powertype>
    			<level type="number">1</level>
    			<tier type="string">Heroic</tier>
    			<type type="string">Power</type>
    			<flavor type="formattedtext"><p><i>You hit one enemy, then cleave into another.</i></p></flavor>
    			<stringflavor type="string">You hit one enemy, then cleave into another.</stringflavor>
    			<target type="string">One creature</target>
    			<attack type="string">Strength vs. AC</attack>
    			<hit type="string">1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and an enemy adjacent to you other than the target takes damage equal to your Strength modifier.  Level 21: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage.</hit>

</powerCleave>
    Make any modifications you want to the XML file and put it back in the .mod file. I don't know if you knew, but the .mod file is just a zip file so you can unzip it to get the files within (and zip it back up once changes have been made).

Hmm ya I know that and thanks for the help, but my main thing is adding powers such as the humans racial power found in the essentials ect. I own all the books and I am trying to make a comprehesive mod library for my group.

I unzipped the mod then ran the database file through Dr. Z's decompiler and it broke it down into its base files. Made the changes that needed to be changed, added some stuff, then ran it back through the parser. Of course, there were other errors, and I needed to delete other parts to get it to work. THe reference file no linger links to anything as the {id} tags have all changed to trap. So nothing links. The list goes on........ basically I threw humpty dumpty off the wall and couldnt put him back together again.

Hmm ya I know that and thanks for the help, but my main thing is adding powers such as the humans racial power found in the essentials ect. I own all the books and I am trying to make a comprehesive mod library for my group.
    You may want to check DrZ's post here. The RPGA Yahoo group has a lot of the 4E modules already compiled - although I'm not sure how up-to-date they are and if there is essentials stuff there. Worth a look anyway...

Ya, I am actually using one from a spanish site I found. Basically, I just scraped the compendium, and made the mods. But after playing around with them, they are missing a lot of stuff found in the other mods. So basically I am trying to cut and paste the powers that I need into the one mod that is complete. I hope that makes sense....

Ya, I am actually using one from a spanish site I found. Basically, I just scraped the compendium, and made the mods. But after playing around with them, they are missing a lot of stuff found in the other mods. So basically I am trying to cut and paste the powers that I need into the one mod that is complete. I hope that makes sense....
    Yeah, makes sense. Sounds like the mod you picked up doesn't adhere to the same format/naming conventions expected by the decompiler and parser. See what DrZ comes back with when he looks at the .mod

Blog Entries
    @joseph.pimpo: You can find my email address ([email protected]) on my website in the upper right corner.

As for the decompiler, its been a long time since I have used it or updated it. Its more than likely changes in the 4E Parser output that need to be reflected in the decompiler XSLT.

Out of curiosity, when did you last parse the module, do you recall the version you used.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Thread Information