5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

suggestions for 2.9

Hey all, trying to get the programmers to hear our suggestions for the next release or releases later on. Voice your suggestions!

I have been wanting to have multimedia capabilities on fantasy grounds, like being able to input videos for awesome cutscenes or put in music for epic boss battles.

Given the networking problems that I've faced intermittently in FGII, along with the problems and complexities of streamed audio / video that we face with established solutions such as Skype and Mumble, I'd be highly surprised and a little worried to see that entering the v2.9 wishlist. I tried adding music one session, but getting it to any sufficient quality and without drowning out actual VOIP chat was too hard.

But, in the spirit of optimism, those things would be awesome.
    Former SW ruleset / Deadlands extension author. Now I just wanna play a few games. And maybe hack. A little.

I'd be happy with an audio system that played files locally, embedded them in a similar modular fashion as extensions, and was more geared to spot sfx than running soundtracks. That way the sounds could be downloaded & installed outside of game play, eliminating bandwidth issues other then simple control commands from the host. Sound calls to non-existent sound files would simply be silent.

More complex soundscapes - even background music, can be hard to mix right across different user's audio systems. However simple sound effects can add a lot to the game - additional cues that reinforce the action. This could also help somebody have a sense of what's going on if they are distracted and away from the computer for a few minutes.

Swinging sound for melee attack, arrow for missile attacks, clank or thud for miss, generic groan for hits... sound of body dropping for somebody going prone. Assigning an sound effect for a game effect being applied might be cool... along with a player option to disable all or some sound channels for those who think it's not very cool. Even more basic, simple sounds for new rounds, new combatants, things like that. Obviously you don't want to be assaulted by a barrage of little goofy sounds, but a few thoughtful options for groups of sfx could go a long way to mitigating.

Just my 2 cents... I'd love it. If you could choose to loop a sound and give it a volume... and better yet, send it to a 'channel' with it's own user-controllable level (like "FG sounds," "Environmental," "Combat," etc... well, then so much the better.

...but I ain't holding my breath.
    Last edited by dr_venture; August 22nd, 2011 at 21:35.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

I would love to have Line of sight and or fog of war implemented in FGII

Quote Originally Posted by DanLal
    I would love to have ... fog of war implemented in FGII
    Something more than the mask mode available in FG now?

Are you talking about something similar to what Maptool does in terms of vision blocking?

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe
    Something more than the mask mode available in FG now?

Are you talking about something similar to what Maptool does in terms of vision blocking?
    Yes, that would be AWESOME!
    Although I have no idea how tough that would be to implement. Still it would be great. In my opinion, its the ONLY feature Maptool has over FG2. If that were implemented, Maptool would be obselete compared to FG2.
    Although as it currently is, I still like FG2 much better. Everything else is just heads and shoulders above anything else Maptool is capable of. IMHO
    Last edited by thrylax; August 25th, 2011 at 01:26.

Quote Originally Posted by thrylax
    Yes, that would be AWESOME!
    Although I have no idea how tough that would be to implement. Still it would be great. In my opinion, its the ONLY feature Maptool has over FG2. If that were implemented, Maptool would be obselete compared to FG2.
    Although as it currently is, I still like FG2 much better. Everything else is just heads and shoulders above anything else Maptool is capable of. IMHO
    Hi!

I have to echo this. Having tried most VT offerings over the years including Maptools, FG is head and shoulders above them all, with the only thing missing - vision blocking.

It's the only thing Maptools has that FG doesn't do better.

I also realize however that this may be hugely difficult to implement. However after 2.8 I can think of anything else FG really needs or hasn't done already, except for this feature.

Perhaps its time to try to tackle something big like vision blocking.

Primarch

I'd love some application-level support for token layers, much like DrZ's work. I wind up basically using tokens in my mapping programs to provide room contents & clutter, then burn the tokens into the map... like chairs & tables and such. God forbid somebody knock one over in the game, as they are permanently embedded in the battlemat. Using player tokens and item tokens together on the same layer is very problematic - it can get very hard to select tokens and/or ensure they're on top. So what I'd like is a layer for 'background tokens' to use for stuff like chairs & tables.

Also, I'd love support for grouping tokens in some way... to handle things like moving wagons or boats with people on them. It'd be nice to be able to move a large 'parent' token (like said cart or boat) and have the child tokens "riding" on it maintain their relative positions. Then you should be able to unlock the children from the parent and move them individually before locking them to the parent again... or if they're unlucky, removing the parent vehicle out from under them

Finally, since I'm gleefully shoveling piles of work onto the developers with not thought of their well being, I'd love some relative layer/movement control for individual tokens. I'd like to be able to lock them in place and move their 'layer' position up or down, front or back... or to really to other layers (like the background or object layer).

And I'd like FG to make me a good latte when I want it... but before I have ask for it.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Quote Originally Posted by dr_venture
    I'd love some application-level support for token layers, much like DrZ's work. I wind up basically using tokens in my mapping programs to provide room contents & clutter, then burn the tokens into the map... like chairs & tables and such. God forbid somebody knock one over in the game, as they are permanently embedded in the battlemat. Using player tokens and item tokens together on the same layer is very problematic - it can get very hard to select tokens and/or ensure they're on top. So what I'd like is a layer for 'background tokens' to use for stuff like chairs & tables.

Also, I'd love support for grouping tokens in some way... to handle things like moving wagons or boats with people on them. It'd be nice to be able to move a large 'parent' token (like said cart or boat) and have the child tokens "riding" on it maintain their relative positions. Then you should be able to unlock the children from the parent and move them individually before locking them to the parent again... or if they're unlucky, removing the parent vehicle out from under them

Finally, since I'm gleefully shoveling piles of work onto the developers with not thought of their well being, I'd love some relative layer/movement control for individual tokens. I'd like to be able to lock them in place and move their 'layer' position up or down, front or back... or to really to other layers (like the background or object layer).

And I'd like FG to make me a good latte when I want it... but before I have ask for it.
    lol, nice one venture bro. But i definitely agree, a layer mapping system would be nice. i could definitely make my dungeons and social encounters more interactive if i were able to add things to different layers and be able to move them about. I've never used maptools as a friend referred fg to me and now i'm HOOKED, but it sounds like this would be a good thing to have.
    I think having a parent layer for "children" to ride in/on would be a lot of work and maybe slow down speeds. what i do is just keep a tally of who's riding on what and use one large token for vehicles. if this could be implemented without being too much of a fuss though, would use it all the time, definitely be able to make cavalry usage alot easier.
    i usually just use the mask to solve my vision blocking problem. i'm not really a huge stickler on sight limitations but perhaps if that feature were there i would use it.

what i would like to see happen though, an easier way to manage and edit rulesets. i am by no means a programmer or a whiz with xml editor. i would like to have a user friendly version to be able to make libraries and rulesets.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_venture
    I'd be happy with an audio system that played files locally, embedded them in a similar modular fashion as extensions, and was more geared to spot sfx than running soundtracks. That way the sounds could be downloaded & installed outside of game play, eliminating bandwidth issues other then simple control commands from the host. Sound calls to non-existent sound files would simply be silent.

More complex soundscapes - even background music, can be hard to mix right across different user's audio systems. However simple sound effects can add a lot to the game - additional cues that reinforce the action. This could also help somebody have a sense of what's going on if they are distracted and away from the computer for a few minutes.

Swinging sound for melee attack, arrow for missile attacks, clank or thud for miss, generic groan for hits... sound of body dropping for somebody going prone. Assigning an sound effect for a game effect being applied might be cool... along with a player option to disable all or some sound channels for those who think it's not very cool. Even more basic, simple sounds for new rounds, new combatants, things like that. Obviously you don't want to be assaulted by a barrage of little goofy sounds, but a few thoughtful options for groups of sfx could go a long way to mitigating.

Just my 2 cents... I'd love it. If you could choose to loop a sound and give it a volume... and better yet, send it to a 'channel' with it's own user-controllable level (like "FG sounds," "Environmental," "Combat," etc... well, then so much the better.

...but I ain't holding my breath.
    that's even better than what i was thinking of, good thoughts. i'm hopin that day will come sometime in the future, even if not the near future. sound effects would be nice, especially for those distracted players. could make for a bad *** bard, lol. biggest thing i want to do as a dm is be able to add battle music to the background.
    i like your idea of music being done as extensions. if fg could be programmed to support his type of extension i would be in rpg heaven!

Thread Information