DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 8 First 12345 ... Last

Any progress?

Quote Originally Posted by mwbay
    I'm working to convert the Classic Traveller module to the Mongoose Traveller ruleset. Some of my goals with this include:

1) Tweak the Character sheet to reflect the changes in mTrav. For example, skill rolls should include a characteristic modifier, but this can change depending on the way the skill is used.

2) Tweak the starship equipment sheets to reflect mTrav changes.

3) Turn the Mongoose Traveller SRD into a Library module that would, ideally, include weapons and other equipment that can be dragged onto a character sheet or starship sheet.

4) Add utilities including random NPC generation, language/word generation, system generation, animal generation, and integrate those results into the database.

I'm new to creating stuff for FG, so I'm still struggling with some of the basic concepts. But I'll keep you posted as things go along. And feel free to add comments or suggestions!
    It looks like you have enough interest for you to finish this project.

I guess this is dead but if for some reason it kicks alive again count me in.

mwbay please come back to us what you had done looked terrific

I am keen to play Traveller New Era with my friends and we are dispersed around the UK and Ireland so FG2 is the only practical way. So in the absence of mwbay I am keen to give the development of this ruleset a try.

I've done some modifications to FG2 in the past and have some XML knowledge (a little is dangerous, I know). What I lack is the experience of the Traveller New Era rules. I can read the rulebook but there are bound to be things I misunderstand or don't appreciate properly and so I will need some help and guidance?

So I'm looking for some help from the community on things like character sheet layouts, whats practical etc. I am happy to paste up my workings on here as long as the comments are constructive and we can reach a consensus.

Thoughts anyone?

Have you explored the possibility of creating an extension to the Classic Traveller ruleset that overrides the Classic Traveller ruleset where it needs to be overridden?

I've done that (partially at least) for Traveller 5 (using the beta rules).

I didn't think of that. Would a new ruleset be cleaner, I don't know the differences between the Classic Traveller and New Era?

I have made a start at the new ruleset but I'm away on vacation next week so won't do anything until the week after. I have been using bits from the Classic Traveller and d20 Modern rulesets to get me started.

Quote Originally Posted by IamGrays
    I didn't think of that. Would a new ruleset be cleaner, I don't know the differences between the Classic Traveller and New Era?
    OTH the main ruleswise difference is that Classic Traveller doesn't use any difficulty thresholds. But those aren't that easy too implement anyhow so I don't think that will be an issue. Other than that the various Traveller editions have used different sets of data for vehicles and such. Which means that any forms detailing such entities needs to be altered.

/Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peterb
    OTH the main ruleswise difference is that Classic Traveller doesn't use any difficulty thresholds. But those aren't that easy too implement anyhow so I don't think that will be an issue. Other than that the various Traveller editions have used different sets of data for vehicles and such. Which means that any forms detailing such entities needs to be altered.
    Actually, Traveller: The New Era (TNE) was significantly different from the other D6 based Travellers - it used the GDW house system (used in Twilight 2000, Dark Conspiracy, etc.). I don't have it with me so can't check, but I seem to remember the main dice for skill resolution was a D20.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Ok I am now beginning to realise how little I actually know about how FG2 is coded. This may take a while....

It's stupid little things that get you, for example where are the little lines for the name, race etc added cos mine are in the wrong place by a few pixels?

This is the problem with modifying other peoples rulesets, I will work it out it's just frustrating...

I believe that the template for "string_labeled" or "labeledstring" in most rulesets; and I believe the template creates and places a text widget with the field text. Try looking for this text in the 3.5E or 4E rulesets to see an example:

Code:
    <template name="string_labeled">
    Cheers,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by moon_wizard
    I believe that the template for "string_labeled" or "labeledstring" in most rulesets; and I believe the template creates and places a text widget with the field text. Try looking for this text in the 3.5E or 4E rulesets to see an example:

Cheers,
    JPG
    Thanks JPG.... I feel so stupid

I think I am (very) slowly beginning to understand.

Thread Information