5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Utility - 4E Character Importer

Updated July 15, 2011

A wonderful intern has graced me temporarily with his skills for the summer. Here is his first project.

It's a work in progress, but I wanted to get it out to the community to get feedback as we polish it.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filel...CharImport.zip

Known items not implemented yet:
    * Attack and damage bonuses to specific powers not implemented (Dirty Fighting, Burning Blizzard, etc.)

This utility is built for exports from the current Character Builder available through the DDI subscription, so your mileage on characters from older Character Builder files may vary.

Regards,
    JPG
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; July 15th, 2011 at 18:59.

I just tried running it and it crashes. I am running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. The event ID is 1026 and here is the error in the application log:

Application: FG-4ECharImport.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
    Stack:
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.OpenUrl()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
    at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(System.Xml.XmlDocument, System.Xml.XmlReader, Boolean)
    at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(System.Xml.XmlReader)
    at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(System.String)
    at FGCharacterConverter.Form1.AppendCampaigns()
    at FGCharacterConverter.Form1..ctor()
    at <Module>.main(System.String[])

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks,
    Dakadin

Sorry I missed one of the application log errors associated with the problem:

Faulting application name: FG-4ECharImport.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4e0e0f13
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7bafa
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000b727
    Faulting process id: 0x1574
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cc383cd3e4a630
    Faulting application path: C:\test\FG-4ECharImport.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 12f12401-a430-11e0-adc2-001d723f813a

Dakadin

Could I get a copy of the dnd4e character you were trying to import? You can send to [email protected]

Thanks,
    JPG
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; July 2nd, 2011 at 00:24.

It never got that far. The error occurred before the ui even appears.

Dakadin

Bug Fix for Dakadin's Problem

Thanks Dakadin for trying out the Character Converter. I am the intern in charge of developing it. Your feedback helped me squash out a bug and add some new features so I can't thank you enough. Until moon_wizard updates the download link you download the fixed version below.

EDIT - Old link removed - JPG

If you encounter anymore problems or if this didn't fix your problem just post to this thread and I'll work on applying a fix with haste. If you have any suggestions for features those are also very welcome. Thanks again.

Best regards,
    Cody
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; July 10th, 2011 at 07:38.

Great job Cody! The application works great now. I like how you include links to the powers and the fact that it includes the basic attack information. I haven't looked at it too closely but one thing that would be nice would be if you included the links for the other abilities if that is possible. Thanks again for taking the time to write this application.

Dakadin

The data for the other abilities (feats, features, etc.) is actually already being imported, but I need to update the 4E ruleset to make the data available.

Cheers,
    JPG

That's great news. Thanks for the clarification.

Dakadin

Blog Entries
    Nice job, Cody. I shall have to have a play with this, it sounds very promising.

This kind of tool has been attempted in the past by several community members (including me), however there have always been limitations with regards to the final XML output (particularly with regard to the linking of reference content (powers, feats etc. etc.) from module sources.

Eugenez (another community member) also got very close with a tool he developed (uses a partial XSLT approach) however it too, suffers from constraints and limitations.

Is this using XSLT for the transformation? If so, is the tool intended to support other rulesets moving forward?
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Thread Information