STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
    It's too bad the genre isn't more popular - I'm having a very difficult time keeping my game running... my Thursday group has a couple of regulars, but my Friday group is on hiatus right now due to lack of players (8pm to midnight, Pacific, if anyone is interested). I think the limited interest is because it doesn't involve anything supernatural... but that's what I like about it - I'll play a fantasy game if I want spell casting.

On the other hand, I have an paleontologist character who is researching the tales of "thunderbirds" (aka pterodactyls) that have arisen in the more remote parts of the unexplored West... totally plausible, especially during the "bone wars" where groups of paleontologists from competing institutions sabotaged each other, destroying artifacts wholesale in the process.

You can make that stuff up, but it's just that much cooler when it's loosely based on real history. Just a different kind of fun if you're a history buff.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

I'm a huge fan of the old west and have always wanted to play in a good old west campaign, though I'm not a big fan of d20. I also like to play without the supernatural stuff but am playing in a Deadlands game.

Hey Dad, you're always welcome to swing by and try out a session to see if the game system is an issue or not. There is a floating "GM's character" (Rufus Temple, ex Union Scout) that is usually available to take for a test drive. C&C is like D20 simplified, and with fewer class restrictions. Just message me if you're interested... or anyone else for that matter, if you're interested is kicking the tires before buying. Games are every other Fri, next game being 9/5.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Sorry, make that Fri Sept. 7th, 4:30pm to 8:30pm Pacific.

I looooove the old west and would play in a game if it wasn't d20.

So, are you all using Sidewinder: Recoiled then?

We're using a mostly homebrew system... kinda. It's really just Castles & Crusades (very rules-lite, kinda like a combination of AD&D 1e and some aspects of 2.0... I hear), but with old west-style character classes and abilities. I did include the d20 modern concept of Hero Type (strong hero, etc.) and I included a background selection (rural, frontier, urban, etc.)... both of those options mostly just dictate some additional abilities the characters get, kinda like race in fantasy systems.

All of the 'homebrew' classes were cobbled together from both Sidewinder: Recoiled and Go Fer Yer Gun!. If you want to just sit in on a session, you're welcome to - just let me know. I have a GM's character/NPC that is usually available to for a guest to just swing in and try things out.

So far, the rules have been used pretty infrequently, actually. We just wind up mostly roleplaying, as opposed to doing a lot of rolling. Wasn't really planned that way at all, but that's how it's turned out so far. As it turned out last week, we literally had one die roll in the whole session, but they were 'cleaning up' after a shootout the previous session, so that's just how it worked out. There is a lot of just enjoying the atmosphere, which has very much been a cooperative thing.

I Love the western genre and am really thinking serious about running a 3-4 session GURPS old western. something on the serious side. no magic or anything, just a straight up western. Tough though to get enough players on the same page.

Tell me about it - I have 1 dedicated player, and 1 new player... thankfully my wife's on board. I have had very little interest, and between people having issues with teh game system, scheduling issues, etc., I'm barely running. Too bad, as it's a really fun game and very different that the usual fantasy game.

endless varying hooks and adventure plots. and can mix with any other genre.
    I have the itch bad for a western!

Thread Information