DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Any Old West gaming fans?

I've been working on running an Old West game for my son - settled on the Sidewinder: Recoiled rules, a OGL-based ruleset which I'm really enjoying for the most part.

Anyway, it occurred to me that there might be some fans of Old West gaming out there - especially folks non-US folks who might like the genre and enjoy a game run by a guy living in the heart of the Motherlode... but anyone who's interested, really.

I can't do this right away, as I'm still on a satellite Internet connection (I'm out in the sticks, actually), which I have found won't work for hosting games. I'm supposed to get access to DSL-speed wireless at some point - dunno when that's going to happen, but supposedly before too long.

Anyway, I just figured I'd put up this note and see if anyone was interested in doing a little adventuring in the American west of the 1880s.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Back in the 80's and then only a short while back I got into an old TSR game called "Boot Hill"... tried running on online campaign, but tech as bad back then and it tooks hours to do anything ... the yahoo group we used still knocks around https://games.groups.yahoo.com/group...llboothillrpg/

Blog Entries
    I might be interested depending on the days and times. Not familiar with the Sidewinder: Recoiled rules however.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

KryptonianFletch, thanks for the link. I used to play an early version of Boot Hill back in the day, but I always wanted a bit more role playing and non-gunfight action. It was a fun game, tho - I originally planned to run that, but decided to explore d20 stuff specifically for use with Fantasy Grounds. Sidewinder integrates almost perfectly, with only a few fields missing from the foundation ruleset. I modded foundation, and now it works like a charm. I also added 'Bravery' from Boot Hill, cause, well, it just makes sense.

Gunnar - if you know d20 at all (and I'm no expert there, but know just enough) then you know Sidewinder. It's based on d20 modern, so it's just 3.5 D&D with custom character classes, feats, skills, etc. So far, it seems to play pretty well - I particularly like their attention to things other than gunfighting. Picking up a set of the rules would probably be a good idea before playing... but that's still a ways off. I still have no immediate ETA for getting my Net connection off of satellite and onto wireless, and until that happens I can't really host games.

It doesn't look like there is too much interest, which is too bad - I think the Western genre has been really underused in RPGs, mostly because the games seem to always just be about gunfights. Combat has been the core attraction in D&D, too, but somehow in D&D there is usually a better vibe to the game environment and the other gaming elements that surround/support the fight. I'm hoping to have fun by creating that same environment in a western game, and balance the focus between the historical and the bigger than life tradition of the genre. I think it'll be fun.

Ah well, when I'm ready, I'll post a notice and see who's available and when.
    Last edited by dr_venture; February 7th, 2011 at 20:51.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Blog Entries
    Good deal dr_venture. I'll keep an eye out for more updates on this thread as I'm really looking forward to an Old West themed RPG to get involved in.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

I would be interested in a western themed RPG as well. Just curious about your internet connection. I currently am on satellite as well. Well I use a usb card from verizon. Basically though, it's pretty crappy. On good days I MAY have .200 download and prob half that in upload. I ran my first session last week though and it seemed to go quite smooth.

Theres a couple tricks you can do before the actual session to make things easier on you. I gave all my players the mods of the libraries and stuff ahead of time to cut back on them having to download anything. other then maps (which happened fast enough, like 30 seconds), we had no hiccups. I even ran Ventrilo as well. I've found that I can't run Skype, as it's a bandwidth whore....

If you'd like to do some tests or something, let me know. I know some of the FG patches have worked on connection issues, so potentially may be fine for you now.

look forward to gaming with you in the future!

ONLY THING TO FEAR, IS FEAR ITSELF!

Laz - thanks for your interest, bud. I do hope to be able to open up my games a bit to folks outside of my own house :P

It sounds like you're on a cellular Net connection (which apparently has it's own issues, I see). I'm on satellite upstream and down - I literally have a dish somewhat bigger than a little TV dish on my roof.

The main problem with satellite Internet is the same that you see on news programs when people are talking across a satellite connection: the latency delay. Every time a signal goes to or from my computer, there is a second or two delay while the signal goes at the speed of light from my roof 22,000 miles into space & bounces back another 22,000 miles the receiving station on earth (Texas, I think). Once data gets streaming, it runs pretty fast, but when you're initiating connections or anything else where there are a lot of network 'handshakes' involved, there's that unavoidable delay. When I was working at Adobe & I had to use a VPN connection, all the extra security overhead slowed me down well below a 26.6k modem (28k? I forget, thankfully).

I am hearing encouraging news from the local home-brewed wireless network business (not cellular - it's yet another thing) that they are in the permit process for installing a big-*** tower needed to get a signal to me. God I'm looking forward to the day I can drive my tractor over my Starband equipment, post the video to YouTube, then send them the wreckage in the mail.

I'm currently running some old Boot Hill adventures converted over to Sidewinder and transplanted to the Black Rock Desert in NW Nevada, 1880. So far it's working out pretty good. I have found quite a few little mining towns out there that blew in, lived a short vibrant life, then have all but disappeared, which is both fun for the game, as well as really fascinating reading!

I just happen to be working on the game today. If you're curious or just want a fun read, here's a bit of classic old west lore that ties into the tiny town of Hardin City wherein the characters now find themselves employed as semi-official "Constables":

Lost Hardin Silver, Mystery or Hoax?

And here is the only picture I can find of the town, circa 2005, with teh description, "We passed the site of Hardin City, history unknown. Ruins consist of two eroded piles of cut ash fall tuff blocks that were buildings near a boggy spring.":

Last edited by dr_venture; April 3rd, 2011 at 05:34.

Ah got ya. But as I understand it, my signal is basically the same.... I shoot to a tower, then off to the stars to nearest satellite. I understand, your not getting the 'relay" from not having a tower close at hand. But my ping is outrageous as well. So.... if you hadn't tried, you MAY be pleasantly suprised. I know I was.

Have you actually attempted to host a game? There really isn't that much data being sent between the 2. I've played alot of text based games here at FG (as opposed to using a VOIP like skype or vent), so may be worth at least an attempt. Specially if everyone knows going forward about your internet.

Again, I was pleasantly suprised. Either way, I hope you get your situation resolved, and I feel your pain. I live at a lake house out here in virginia, and there isn't anything offered ISP wise.

Thank you for the reading. I'll go take a gander at it. Also, if you need help testing.... "i'll be your huckleberry". I leave my comp connected 24/7, so feel free to hop into the FG chat at...

https://fg2.rpg-vault.net/

you can recruit me anytime I am around, as well as any others to help ya out.

ONLY THING TO FEAR, IS FEAR ITSELF!

If only FG could handle a deck of cards and the Shot Clock you oculd pull off Aces & Eights, which is a great Western RPG

Quote Originally Posted by WittyDroog
    If only FG could handle a deck of cards and the Shot Clock you could pull off Aces & Eights, which is a great Western RPG
    It can handle a deck of cards (Savage Worlds uses that), there was an attempt a while back to code a public card deck but I do not know how that went.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Thread Information