FG Spreadshirt Swag
    Blog Entries

Recommended Adventure Paths?

Hey everyone,

I am wrapping up my Revenge of the Giants campaign, and I have started thinking about what's next.

I would like to run an adventure path, but I'm not really sold on Scales of War. My impression is that the Paragon adventures are very good, but the rest is just ok.

I started with old-school D&D in the early 80's, missed much of 3rd edition. I'm going to stick with 4e most likely as I am currently most familiar with this ruleset, although I am not crazy about where they are going with it (Essentials ). I prefer a story-driven campaign. I enjoy combat, but I want to minimize the grind if possible.

Anyone running War of the Burning Sky? Is production of the 4e version still happening? I only see the first 5 adventures, which were supposedly finished last year when they announced the conversion.

How about some of the older Paizo adventure paths? I was looking at Age of Worms and Savage Tides. AoW sounds like it offers sort of an old-school atmosphere (macabre, a little bizarre in places) that appeals to me. The idea of an expedition to the Isle of Dread (ST) has also caught my attention!

AoW and ST would have to be converted from 3.5, but I wouldn't mind doing that as long as untagged maps are available. Editing out tags is how I spend/waste much of my time now with the WotC adventures.

Any feedback from experienced players/GM's who have run these adventures would be great!

Cheers,
    Z

Blog Entries
    I re-posted my question over in the Tavern (general discussion).

The Armory might not be the appropriate forum for this... apologies if that is the case.

Please post comments in that thread.

Thanks!

I am in agreement with you. The 4e ruleset has become overly detailed what with all the feats and skills and characteristics. An overly complicated ruleset detracts from the story.
    I am here to listen, not to teach, go look somewhere else.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, it frustrates me. Maybe customer demand for new material with each release of a PHB, DMG, etc. has created this situation more than WotC's own philosophy. They are a business, after all.

In spite of how they market it, I see Essentials as a "what I wanted 4E to be if I was in charge 2 years ago" effort by the current management team. But they are operating within the constraints of not changing things too much lest they make everything that came before suddenly obsolete.

While I support their vision to bring back more of a classic feel to the game, I don't think now is the time for that.

Save it for 5th edition...

I'm currently running Age of Worms (under 3.5 rules), and I can highly recommend it. It really does have a great old-school feel - particularly if you're a fan of the World of Greyhawk - while being fresh at the same time. If you do decide to run it, I'd be happy to offer more detailed advice, such as I can!

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Callum... leaning towards War of the Burning Sky right now so we'll see.

Thread Information