DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: character files

character files

is there a way to move my players characters from one of my campaigns to another campaign folder.

one of my campaigns has become nearly unusable and i want to start the folder over with just the character files.

go to the Campaigns folder inside the FGII Application Data folder.

In there will be a folder for each campaign you have created.

Copy db.xml to somewhere else (to be safe).

Edit the copied db.xml the characters are between <charsheet> and </charsheet> (at least that's what they are called in Savage Worlds ruleset).

So open new campaign's db.xml and copy / paste the Charsheet section over.

Hope that helps...
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

edit?

Dont seem to be able to edit or copy do i need an application to do that?

Notepad++ will do the trick. It's free and simple enough to use.

You can also use plain-'ole Notepad, if you're careful.

There's a tool specifically built to extract that code and allow you to import it to another campaign. I believe it's called CampaignTools and should be on the FG wiki and/or sticked in several threads.

Quote Originally Posted by gmkieran
    There's a tool specifically built to extract that code and allow you to import it to another campaign. I believe it's called CampaignTools and should be on the FG wiki and/or sticked in several threads.
    Is it not ruleset specific though?
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Blog Entries
    I updated Campaign Tools and whilst the majority of the functionality is keyed towards the 4E ruleset, the exporting of character nodes from one campaign's db.xml file to another may very well work with other rulesets. It would depend upon whether the ruleset shares the same top level structure for the campaign's character sheets, in 4E the node is called <charsheet>.

Assuming its identical, the tool should find and list the charsheets in the tree it builds of the source campaign. From this view you can then export each character to a new target campaign.

I would backup your campaign files and the give it a go, in the worst case if it doesn't work, simply restore your backups.

You can find the tool here under the Tools section.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Thread Information