5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Thread: PNG vs WEBP

PNG vs WEBP

I know that larger WEBP images are significantly smaller in KB size that the same image as a PNG. When I am creating modules I am moving all my graphics to WEBP now that it is supported. However, I have noticed that small graphics for things like tokens and map markers tend to be larger as WEBP vs PNG.

For example, I have created map markers that are 79x79 pixels in size, they have a small colored border in orange, a white background, and an orange number in the middle (see attached example).

This file as a PNG is 7.19KB and as a WEBP is 13.8KB in size.

I realize the difference is pretty insignificant, but does it matter from an engine perspective?

Just curious.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 1.png (7.2 KB, 29 views)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargrove View Post
    I know that larger WEBP images are significantly smaller in KB size that the same image as a PNG. When I am creating modules I am moving all my graphics to WEBP now that it is supported. However, I have noticed that small graphics for things like tokens and map markers tend to be larger as WEBP vs PNG.

For example, I have created map markers that are 79x79 pixels in size, they have a small colored border in orange, a white background, and an orange number in the middle (see attached example).

This file as a PNG is 7.19KB and as a WEBP is 13.8KB in size.

I realize the difference is pretty insignificant, but does it matter from an engine perspective?

Just curious.
    The file format isn't important once the image is loaded. You should use whichever format works best for you.

FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Thread Information