STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last
    Simply Amazing!

If this is not your job, you could seriously live off this hobby/passion!
    Always keep it in perspective!

I hope you don´t stop here
    Religion is an insult to human dignity.
    With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin
    Simply Amazing!

If this is not your job, you could seriously live off this hobby/passion!
    Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Haven
    I hope you don´t stop here
    Just finishing Level 2, 1 encounter to go and then I'll make a start on Level 3. I'll post them up once there ready along with my intepretation of the initial forest clearing encounter (the one with no map included).
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Eh eh eh good good...
    Religion is an insult to human dignity.
    With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion...

Blog Entries

Talking Level 2

Here's Level 2.

Mods - Can someone please move this thread to the Armory, I think that would be a better home. Thanks.
    Last edited by Zeus; January 11th, 2011 at 23:07.
    FG Project Development

Current Project:
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates

I'm not meaning to be greedy, but Zeuss, did you ever put together a video on how you did the maps? Even after seeing the photoshop file, I would still love to see how you do the maps.
    --Doc Waldo

Blog Entries
    No not yet, its still on the wish list. Several challenges to overcome first.

• I have to find a decent desktop recording system for my mac that supports 2560x1440 - if anyone knows of one, please let me know
    • Find the time in between the coding, mapping, running my own games and other community driven projects - so much to do and so little time ...
    • Overcome the fear of ridicule and embarrassment of my limey brit accent - this is why all my videos to date have been in silence

I also need to determine how many videos will be required, I doubt I could get the whole process covered in one video, well not unless I use something like stop motion to speed up the process. I'm thinking it maybe better to break it down into several smaller subject areas? When I get setup, maybe even post up a weekly tutorial. We'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime, I'll do my best to describe the process in posts. Was there something specific you were after or just a general overview of the steps taken?
    FG Project Development

Current Project:

Map making is one of those things that can make or break a Fantasy Grounds dungeon master. This is especially true in 4E due to its reliance on board-game-like mechanics.

Fantasy Grounds puts a lot of pressure on the map maker. The maps must be able to accept a grid (32 px, 50 px, etc). The map must fit the size of the encounter in a way that accommodates an array of monitor sizes. Every encounter tends to take place on a new area, which means there has to be a constant source of new maps (or rooms on a large map). If it is a map made for other DMs, then it is nice to have an additional copy with markers for where the monsters start, etc.

I've investigated a number of different services, apps, and programs. I don't have photoshop, but I'm sure I'd be lost in trying to quickly create maps if I did. I have Campaign Cartographer with the Dungeon Designer, and while powerful, it takes me far too long to create useable maps. I've used Tiamat the Tile Mapper with some success but the tiles grow repetitive and cost (a small amount of) money for using the tiles. I've bought and used the wildly overpriced Battle Map iPad app, which is by far the slickest and easiest of what I've tried, but it doesn't export to useable files, has a very small selection of tiles and doesn't have any walls (ugh!).

I've also bought one of the map packs for FG from the 0one. I was turned off by the immense size of the map (the Burning Temple one) and haven't looked at it in 10 months since I first got it. Perhaps I should give it another look, as I'm guessing I could make one tremendous dungeon out of it.

I don't know exactly how to put it into words, but Fantasy Ground maps need a certain sensitivity to the medium (computer monitors) to be useable.

I mildly disagree with you, Robbo. My experience is that players will be happy with just about any map - most player just wanna play! I even think a case can be made that simple line maps can be more immersive since they cause the player to use his imagination more.

It does put a lot of pressure on the DM if you feel compelled to do production quality maps. My feelings are quite a bit different on the medium, for a non commercial module I don't worry about the appearance, I'm more interested in file size. I feel the absolute most important thing is the map be a fast and easy transfer. Nothing kills a session faster than someone *not* being able to get the map.

I agree with you completely Griogre. The expectations for a Production quality, commercial map/Module is not the same as a community developed one. 90% of my table top games are done on a grid map using erasable dry ink markers to draw line maps.

While I agree that maps are extremely helpful in a scene, its been my experience that people play to get the story and community interaction out. To create a character and see what comes of it. While the commercial and production quality items are without a doubt awesome, they certainly aren't a deal breaker for a good session.
    • Trying to find a community Ruleset, Extension or Information on how to complete a process? Try FGRepository.
    • PM Myself if you have new or updated community Rulesets, Extensions or Information that you'd like added to FGRepository.

Thread Information