DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Savage Worlds Unofficial Ruleset?

Has anyone here created a Savage Worlds ruleset on their own?

I realize that there's an official one, but it has way too many issues to be useful to me right now, and so I'm wondering if anyone ever just built one on their own...or is that even allowed (sorry, don't know much about licensing and such)?

At this point a slightly broken SW ruleset might be more useful to me than the current one I'm using.

Thanks,
    JT

Savage Worlds was originally released by DA and while many people have made variations for their personal use, the ruleset is a PEG IP, which Smiteworks USA has a license to port to FG and distribute.

So it while it would be fine for you to *make* your own ruleset (as long as you didn't distribute it) or to modify the one you have (as long as you didn't distribute it) it would be illegal for anyone else to distribute a ruleset to you.

Also if you are having issues with a ruleset, it you should post what kinds of issues you are experiencing. There are many people currently using the SW ruleset without issue, they might have a suggestion or you might have actually found a bug that they can focus on fixing if they know it exists.

One issue I noticed was there is no snap-to-grid in the SW ruleset. Could any of the SW gurus point me where I can set that, or perhaps direct me to a script that could clue me in on how to implement it myself?

Blog Entries
    I believe the snap functionality will be implemented in scripts/image_reference.lua.

The functions to look at would be:

getClosestSnapPoint(x,y), onTokenSnap(token, x,y) and onPointerSnap(startx, starty, endx, endy, type).

This is purely a guess as I don't have access to a copy of the Savage Worlds ruleset but a few releases back the original Smiteworks developers updated Grid support to handle HEX based grids.

Now in introducing HEX support its more than likely this broke grid functionality in existing rulesets.

Before the changes, grids were of a fixed type "square". I'm guessing the current getClosesSnapPoint(x,y) function tries to interact with the grid (to determine size for one) and is failing as a result of the change.

I would have thought all you need to do is to update getClosesSnapPoint(x,y) so that it first checks the grid type and then takes appropriate actions depending on the type.

If you feel adventurous and don't want to wait for an official fix, try looking at the scripts/image_reference.lua for the 4E ruleset and compare it with the SW scripts/image_reference.lua. Its a fairly straightforward exercise to build a simple extension to override the /scripts/image_reference.lua script with any changes you require.
    Last edited by Zeus; April 2nd, 2010 at 09:57.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Precisely what I was looking for. Thank you!

I simply replaced that script with the same from one of the rulesets (Rolemaster) that I own, and it worked immediately. It may not be the most elegant solution, but it gets me rolling. Repped.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocinox
    Precisely what I was looking for. Thank you!

I simply replaced that script with the same from one of the rulesets (Rolemaster) that I own, and it worked immediately. It may not be the most elegant solution, but it gets me rolling. Repped.
    You may also find this conversation interesting:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...t=11520&page=2

-Kevin McD

Thread Information