DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Whisper command is useless or broken

Hi,

Unless I am missing something big, the /whisper command is either useless or broken.

It appears that the /whisper command ONLY allows a Player to send a /whisper to the GM.

There appears to be no way for the GM to /whisper a Player.

No RPG can be effectively run without the ability for the GM to "pass a note" to a player, i.e. have private conversations with individual players.

So this is either a useless command since it only sends messages from Players to the GM or it is a broken command that should work for everyone or at least Player to GM and GM to Player.

Can this be done in FGII and did I miss it or do I understand it and there is no way to /whisper a Player?

Thanks,

Mark

The last time I whispered a player I used /whisper charactername message. I'll log in and check that though in a minute.

Edit:I suppose it would depend on the ruleset in question as well but it seems to work fine in the 4e and 3.5 ruleset.
    Last edited by Sorontar; March 22nd, 2010 at 18:00.

Whisper functionality is implemented in the ruleset, and each ruleset has a varying level of whisper support.

This manual page is for the d20/3.5E rulesets.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide/gmchat.xcp

The 4E ruleset has similar functionality, documented in this manual in development.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userg...layer_chat.xcp
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide4E/gm_chat.xcp

Cheers,
    JPG

Welcome to the forums, I hope you find us friendly and helpful!

Many rulesets have GM-only whisper functionality: a player can whisper to the GM and GMs can whisper to any player. More recently, rulesets have added player-to-player whispers (P2P) and some of the rulesets have a GM-option to enable/disable/modify this facility.

The bottom line is you should check to see if your ruleset has this feature. Happy to help, if you let me know which ruleset you had in mind.

Foen

Furthermore, in the 4E ruleset, you can drag and drop a number of different things on character portraits to share them, including text; I find it a faster method of whispering in many cases.

The drag and drop from story text boxes is d20 ruleset functionally so its available in most rulesets since most rulesets at their core are still based off the d20 one. And I agree it's almost always faster to drag and drop onto the character portraits.

To the original poster, assuming your ruleset supports GM whispering to players (most do), you need to type in the full name of the *character* not the player id. One easy way to do it is type: /w then type the first several letters of the *character* name and then press the tab key. FG will fill in the rest of the name. Let us know if you have any other questions.

In the category of wishes, I wish that you had the option to open a tiny window beneath each portrait at the top of your screen, and typing into that box whispered that character.

Quote Originally Posted by phloog
    In the category of wishes, I wish that you had the option to open a tiny window beneath each portrait at the top of your screen, and typing into that box whispered that character.
    I use notes that I drop on the character portrait it's faster than typing the whisper command and it has the added advantage of being able to be prepared in advance.

I tend to write private messages to the normal chatentry (where you type your regular messages) without the /whisper command and then drag-and-drop the message from chatentry to character portrait to whom I wish to sent that private message.

Thread Information