Starfinder Playlist
Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

Thread: Layer Extension

(From the screenshot the two layers look out of sync: look at the grid lines)

Blog Entries
    I'd agree with Foen, if you set the grid on the bottom layer the top layer auto syncs and sets its grid identically.

If you set the grid on the top layer, the grids de-sync when you zoom or move the map.

Try setting it on the bottom layer as suggested, it works fine for me.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Foen
    Did you set the grid on the bottom layer (rather than the top)?
    Yes, and I just double checked to make sure.

Here is the token tile im using.
    https://i634.photobucket.com/albums/...ridorLLeft.png

if you want to check it yourself.

could it be related so that in order to scale the token properly (50px per square) that I have to extend the map with the drawing tools, then zoom out, and this is somehow messing up the alignment?

When setting the grid, move to lower layer, and place grid there, (ive done this) is there anywhere in particular I should be starting it? or a method I should be using? Ive tried putting it in the center, and in the lower left corner, not sure if it would make a difference but its still the same.

Do I need to close the map and reopen it before I place tiles? just trying to get a process down in case Im doing something wrong.
    Last edited by TR0LL; March 21st, 2010 at 22:03.

Yes, I think the problem is caused by you extending the drawing area. The extension has to keep both layers in sync, and there is no method/event exposed by the FG engine to capture when the drawing size is changed.

I'll change the default drawing size to match the top layer.

Foen

I've aligned the default drawing sizes of the main image and the top layer, and set the window to re-synchronise the two layers when it first loads.

v0.3 is now on the FG Wiki.

Foen

The new default map size is awesome, but the problem still remains with my tile. have you tried it yet?

I make a new map, place a 50px grid, put the tile down, zoom in to make tile squares fit the grid and lock, they still don't align, always 50% off on one facing.

Ive notice that its always one facing or the other. if the horizontal is right the vertical is 50% off, and vise verse.

It isn't because of my token size is it? 250x700 pixels?
    Last edited by TR0LL; March 22nd, 2010 at 00:13.

Spot-on!

The token is centred on the grid and your size isn't an even multiple of squares in one direction. There are two ways to get around this, either switch off the grid to place your tokens by hand (like DrZeuss did) or else change the tokens to be an even number of squares in each direction.

Foen

I chopped up my tile to do some testing, and the results were... odd...

As you can see the ones in green are fine, and will fit right on any facing. the rest though are always 50% off on one facing or the other.

Edit - ah-hah! Read your post before this one, the ones that are not working are 3 squared wide... hell yeah we figured this one out!

To be more precise, the centre of your token must either fall in the centre of a grid square or else at a precise intersection.

Your first token (7 squares by 4) centred length-wise at 3.5 squares and width-wise at 2 squares, so the exact centre was on a border of a square in one direction and the centre of a square in the other. The same is true of the 3x4 tokens.

In summary, a token must either have an odd number of squares in both directions or an even number of squares in both directions, but not a mixture of odd and even.

This is because grid-snapping works to the centre of a token, not its top left.

If you want tokens of non-regular sizes, you can add extra width using invisible (alpha=0) pixels. These should work just fine.

Foen

... you have done it again. *headshakes* I always assumed that getting layer functuionality in there was beyond doable from a ruleset aproach.

You are a tricky one. Tricky beyond belief.

- Obe
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

Thread Information