DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Warden marking into an Aura?

In the 4e ruleset, is it possible to make the Warden marking power into an aura which automatically marks all targets within 1 square at the start of his turn?

I'm trying to figure out an faster way to include the new (fantastic) marked condition, which would normally be an End Next condition so that if the warden is surrounded by 8 NPCs he doesn't have to manually apply the condition to each NPC each turn.

Just select all the targets, then double-click the Marked effect.

Cheers,
    JPG

Does Marked auto-target the originator, then? Because wouldn't you normally have to hold Shift and drag it onto the PC?

The Marked effect is actually a special-case. It uses the "source" of the effect to perform it's function, so you don't need to set targets at all. Just apply, and go.

When I was building in this functionality, I found the extra targeting to be too much overhead for such a core mechanic, and the source data was already available.

Cheers,
    JPG

Thanks - that should work fine as a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_wizard
    The Marked effect is actually a special-case. It uses the "source" of the effect to perform it's function, so you don't need to set targets at all. Just apply, and go.

When I was building in this functionality, I found the extra targeting to be too much overhead for such a core mechanic, and the source data was already available.

Cheers,
    JPG
    This is awesome. The defenders in my group will thank you.

What about Divine Challenge?

Just starting up my 4e game again ... I can now see how useful your Marked condition code is but I was wondering if it would be possible to implement something similar for the Paladin's Divine Challenge. This is (as you know) essentially the same as the Marked condition but also includes automatic radiant damage equal to 3 + the Paladin's Wis modifier if the attack from the marked target does not include the originator of the mark.

In my innocence, I feel this should be easy to implement as all the elements are there and available - ie we know who applied the Marked condition; we can tell if that character is a Paladin or not; if it is, and the target attacks someone else, look up the Paladin's Wis mod, add 3 and apply that as Radiant damage.

An alternative would be to create a new condition, largely identical to the Marked one, called Divine Challenge. That would eliminate the need to check if the mark originator is a Paladin.

Am I being naive, or is this something that could be added in? ... like, before next week's game!
    DNH
    "Lost in Karameikos"

There are a lot of classes that use the Marked condition, and the Marked condition has a very specific usage in 4E. The Divine Challenge would need to be something separate. Also, the system in the 4E ruleset is currently set up to only support modifiers to rolls, not to trigger additional actions (such as apply damage).

I'll add your request to the wish list for 4E.

Cheers,
    JPG

Since this topic seens about marks, there is any way to use a "big mark", like mark of warding (-3 penalty instead of -2), and second winded wildblood wardens?

Marking with different modifiers (-3 instead of -2) is on the wish list.

Cheers,
    JPG

Thread Information