DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavison
    That is one thing we try to handle on newer conversions. If the images are resized so that they match a specific grid size, we then include that info so that the FG grids can easily be overlaid on the image. The new map packs include links to maps with 50 pixels per square grids and normally several other sizes as well.
    Sounds great - thanks!

-Kevin McD

THanks for the info - just wish it was closer to done.

To give folks some input with respect to existing grids vs. FG grids, I can tell you that the grass is a BIT greener, but not green enough, elsewhere.

Klooge has the ability to offset/shift the grid in both horizontal and vertical, and also a 'fudge factor' that attempts to make up for the inconsistencies of the existing grid...I find it close, but not close enough...I just don't see any product doing this well until someone invents a logic that 'finds' the grid on the existing image, and uses/snaps to that.

OH! One more thing - -so I created a client session to test the 'lock tokens' and move to see the distance. This appears to be a horrible design - - am I right in noting that the label that says how many inches the move is appears at a distance from the end of the movement line, and that the distance from the end of the line is not constant (as it should be), but a FUNCTION OF THE LENGTH OF THE MOVE!?!

What I'm seeing is that if I move 1", the player sees the distance...2" we still see it, but it's farther away...depending on the map by 6" or more the distance label is gone - completely off the map!

Is there a setting to keep the label locked to the end of the line depicting the movement? What would the benefit be of this distance based on distance moved?
    Last edited by phloog; March 20th, 2010 at 04:14.

Quote Originally Posted by phloog
    OH! One more thing - -so I created a client session to test the 'lock tokens' and move to see the distance. This appears to be a horrible design - - am I right in noting that the label that says how many inches the move is appears at a distance from the end of the movement line, and that the distance from the end of the line is not constant (as it should be), but a FUNCTION OF THE LENGTH OF THE MOVE!?!

What I'm seeing is that if I move 1", the player sees the distance...2" we still see it, but it's farther away...depending on the map by 6" or more the distance label is gone - completely off the map!
    I keep forgetting to mention that bug to Doug!

Thanks for brining it up!

This as well as snap to grids all stem from when hex supported was added, for some reason the SW ruleset was severely hobbled by this change!
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Yeah, it's really an oddball bug, because I can think of no situation where this would be desired.

Things that are not killers for me like this distance/snap/grid stuff, but are a big deal are:

1) The ability to add maps to established modules...many agree that one limitation of the DToA is that they don't have maps, the FG conversion takes that stance of replicating only what's there, but then the bug in SW ruleset makes it so you can't make your OWN maps and link them properly.

2) I'm bothered that there aren't tokens provided. Again, I'm sure this is an 'only what's in the original' thing, but it seems like something that should have been worked out in the license.

I actually only run SW in a FACE TO FACE game, but I use a large monitor for mapping, and my laptop for all the NPC/story management.

Right now, believe it or not, here is where I'm at:

I own a license of Fantasy Grounds with the SW ruleset, but...

FG doesn't do anything powerful in terms of character creation/maintenance/advancement, so I ended up buying a license of Metacreator to handle all my PCs. Since it's a pain to type them in, I don't have ANY PC data in FG right now...MC stays open all session.

Fantasy Grounds for SW is broken to the point of useless in terms of the maps/grid/snap...so I have a full license of KLOOGE that I use to display maps to my players, track movement, look at blasts/effects, etc.

So FG stays open for the story/reading, and so that I can track and make rolls for the NPC that are provided in the modules. Klooge stays open and handles all mapping and movement, including chases.

MC stays open to manage the PCs.

Now MC is actually working on mapping functionality. At some point I think whichever company gets their bugs fixed and allows me to use ONE product will get a lot of my money.

EDIT: Now I've found a SW module for Klooge...it's a three way steel cage match. I'd really like a winner to emerge quickly, but it's like all three are wobbly and about to drop.
    Last edited by phloog; March 23rd, 2010 at 04:59.

Have got a fix for snap to grid, I think.

Was hacking around with my savage worlds ruleset without taking any backups (yes, yes, I know) and now seem to have "snap to grid" working. Oddly, it lets people snap to the grid intersections as well (not sure if that is desired) but it's better than no snap at all.

The solution was to edit the scripts/imagewindow_image.lua file, modifying lines 42-28 as follows :

function onTokenSnap(token, x, y)
    if hasGrid() then
    return getClosestSnapPoint(x, y);
    else
    return x, y;
    end
    end
    I think the original had most of this commented out, which meant it simply never tried to snap at all.

On a seperate note, if anyone knows how I can download a copy of the original lua files for my savage worlds ruleset, I'd be grateful, and I'll back them up this time (promise) !

Cheers,
    Ben

Here's the original for you:
    Code:
    --	if hasGrid() then
    --		return getClosestSnapPoint(x, y);
    --	else
    		return x, y;
    --	end
    end
    Looks like the programmer had commented out all but 'return x,y' which makes me wonder, WTF were they thinking?!

In any case, thanks for posting the fix!

Quote Originally Posted by phantomwhale
    Have got a fix for snap to grid, I think.
    I was trying to get this to work as well the same time, but failed!

I am always shocked at my inability to understand lua code!

Thanks

Changing mine now...
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.

Quote Originally Posted by umbralux
    Here's the original for you:
    Code:
    --    if hasGrid() then
    --        return getClosestSnapPoint(x, y);
    --    else
            return x, y;
    --    end
    end
    Looks like the programmer had commented out all but 'return x,y' which makes me wonder, WTF were they thinking?!

In any case, thanks for posting the fix!
    I seem to recall that when the ruleset was written snap-to-grid had been was built-in/added to FGII, when it was subsequently made optional these lines would have needed to be edited!

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.

Ah cool - glad it's working for others too !

Thanks for posting the original code - I ended up finding an archived copy of the original script that I had on my local CrashPlan installation, so was quite smug with myself for having this backup thing running for months and finally having a use for it

And for my next trick, I'll fix grouped encounters in the combat tracker... erm... maybe...

Just curious, Mr. P. Whale....if you're doing all the fixes, do I send the money to YOU next time?

Thread Information