STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 46 First 1234513 ... Last
    nothing wrong with Barbarians, they're awesome if played right

my Dragonborn Fighter is gonna be ripping **** up though =D

was also wondering what we're doing for ability scores cause i wanted to through a character together to get and idea of what my character will be like
    GMT -5 (EST)

Well this is my first time with a Barbarian so if you got any tips that would help

Quote Originally Posted by Dagnalis
    Well this is my first time with a Barbarian so if you got any tips that would help
    I'm gonna hate my damage in comparison for saying this, but........

Variants/Alternate Class Abilities:
    Lion Totem Barbarian for Pounce(full attack on charge)
    Whirling Frenzy Rage Variant for the defensive bonus and extra attack. At level 1 raging, you will hit twice on a full attack which you can do charging. Hell yeah.

STR>CON>DEX>WIS(don't dump this) Wizards will rock you "I dominate the large fellow in the corner frothing from the mouth"

Feats:
    POWER ATTACK RARRRGHGHHHGHHGHHHH (definitely)
    Improved Bullrush -> Shocktrooper (Accuracy Rocks, AC tanks)
    Improved Sunder -> Combat Brute (More Power Attack Damage)
    Leap Attack (More Power Attack Damage)
    If Half-orc -> Headlong Rush (MORE!)

And for the love of god do not go frenzied berserker or I will kill you myself, in your sleep, with a rusty spoon. Sadly the first jab with that spoon for 1 nonlethal will set you into a frothing rage where you then slaughter everyone in their sleep indiscriminately. It doesn't look like we have a spell caster who can put you down if you do so, and my spells are VERY limited beyond wands and such things.

Now, if you don't want to be OMG CHARGE guy, there's an interesting fear build you could do using Instantaneous Rage, Intimidating Rage, Imperious Command and something else, I've not used it in a while, but you essentially hulk up and scare the **** out of people.

Barbarian Handbook covers a lot.
    https://brilliantgameologists.com/bo...p?topic=2502.0
    The order for the day is Roid Rage then charge, charge, charge, and charge some more with the biggest 2Her you can get your paws on.

You can find this stuff in, Unearthed Arcana, Complete Warrior, Complete Champion, Complete Adventurer and I might be missing one or two.

Alright. since we seem to have all melee focused I'll be the guy that sacrifices himself and is useless for the first few levels.

I'll be the wizard instead of a barbarian.

USELESS?! USELESS?! lol you obviously dont know how to powergame? I have given you all the tools to own even at first level. I suggest you start reading some more Isayu. I expect everyone to be at 120% for my games...

Quote Originally Posted by Iyasu
    Alright. since we seem to have all melee focused I'll be the guy that sacrifices himself and is useless for the first few levels.

I'll be the wizard instead of a barbarian.
    You say that now, but when you're untouchable late game and we're all invalids we'll be the useless ones :P (hell, for awhile now, note: years, the optimization boards have been trying to kill an optimized wizard with a non-magical class and it's so far proved impossible if they have general defensive spells and equipment on.)

It's not hitting hard enough to kill a wizard that's the problem, it's the fact if they don't want you near them you won't be, what with there numerous save or dies, teleports, force barriers/cages, adamantium shrunken cone hats that block AMFs. I happen to be losing hmmmm..........plane shift to my own demi-plane where time flows faster, rest 8 hours, come back, F*** S*** up.

But let's be real here, the chance they'll need to retreat with due preparation is laughable.

On topic though, Lv1 wizards can walk all over encounters easily.

Color Spray: Save or Die(coup de grace) for the first few levels, then save or suck until lv4. Too many people try to nuke, magic missile is nothing compared to this at 1st level. This is really all you need, it's a freakin' cone of ownage.
    Dawnburst: Everyone glows, detects invisible(!), and any undead take 1d6+1/lvl.

2nd level spell: Glitterdust, Blind enemies from 100ft away, Save or Suck.
    2nd level spell: Seeking Ray, 4d6 Damage ignores cover/concealment that isn't total, +4 to hit with rays for 1 round after
    2nd level spell: Shatter, you just blew up his armor and weapon, Save or Suck.

Hell, the moment you hit 3rd level, take acid arrow as a spell then grab the Reserve Feat from Complete Mage, Acid Splatter, and you deal 1d6/spell level of the acid spell you have prepared. Simply never cast acid arrow and that's 2d6 ranged acid damage at will. And at 3rd level you still have Color Spray doing it's Blind/stun trick your owning face with that and then 2d6ing people left and right, you have a ranged greatsword in your pocket that few creatures have DR against. And if you go by the wording of you creating an "Orb of Acid" per the Orb of Acid spell, it's a ranged TOUCH attack. You are megaman on a controlled substance from lv1 and that's without taking any Alternate Class Features/specializations/other Uber S***.

If you go sorcerer I think you can pump up the lv1 CL to 3 or 4 using Kobold and Draconic Rates shenanigans.

For Wizard just make yourself middle aged for another +1 to all mental stats(not sure if the ones past that stack).

Wizards are FAR from useless at lv1.

In the event you wanna go full tilt:

A Guide to Wizards, Playing GOD.

https://brilliantgameologists.com/bo...hp?topic=394.0
    Last edited by Johan; December 9th, 2009 at 17:21.

haha man you're delving into level 3. I'm talking purely about level 1 and 2.

Though I appreciate your giant input, you've basically posted what I'm doing (albiet a bit different)

I'm simply stating there's no way I'll be able to outclass the Barb at level 1.

Sadly I've been jaded by old DMs. Everything had a high enough hit die to not be effected by colour spray (Every encounter was either undead, or had an HD of 5) Noone ever used actualy weapons, so shatter was neigh useless.

I'm simply gonna go the way I am now that I've been sufficiently pissed off by it. Trust me, when I say 'useless for the first few levels', I'm thinking in terms of 'not broken'. Just wait till I hit 3rd level. It will start going well for me.

Don't expect 'magic missle! magic missle! magic missle! Uhoh, out of spells! CROSSBOW AT +2 ATK! MISS! FFFF-"

You probably wont see many effect spells out of me, unless the DM will ASSURE me that I'll be able to actually use them. in 90% of the low level campaigns I've ever played it's turned into 'lol no effect against undead/this HD'

Alright guys SMALL hints please, not whole pages worth. I want to see how everyone powergames.

Well this seems a bit to serious for me i'm dropping out good luck

Iyasu,

Play the Barbarian that you wish to play. We can always work with the GM to hire the support NPCs that are needed, such as an initial healer, and a spellcaster, until we develop the talents within the group. My character will develop very good healing talents over time, perhaps another will have a build that covers arcane spellcasting at some point.
    Last edited by MikeParham; December 10th, 2009 at 03:33.

Thread Information