Starfinder Playlist

[Newbie] Q's about 'customizing'

Hiya.

Just bought the FULL version of FGII a few hours ago. I remember trying the earlier FGI years ago...and it had some other option-buttons that don't seem to be anywhere in this new version. Here's a screenshot from somebody's game (found it in the Gallery forum here...). The highlighted ones are the ones I'm wondering about...where'd they go?

Here's what I'm talking about:

Basically, I'm wondering if/how I can change the size of the text for, well, everything (chat, modules, etc.). I understand somethings will likely need to be unchangable (re: character sheets and monster stat blocks, etc), but the Chat window is the big one for me. Is it hard-coded into the program, or can I change it via a simple config, or even dig into the XML of it?

Any tips/pointers for a newbie? I bought it to see if we can use it to play at times it's just too damn cold to go outside, or for quick "two hour sessions" and whatnot (I live in Whitehorse, Yukon...it can get pretty cold here in winter, and an option to just sit at home by the fire and role-play still is a very tempting thing indeed...).

Thanks!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

The screenshot looks like it came from one of my rulesets (either d20_JPG or 4E_JPG). The 3 buttons you are asking about are: Campaign Modifiers, Campaign Effects and Options.

On the text size change, there is no global way to change the text size of a ruleset, because every window is built from scratch based on a given font size. If you were able to change the font size to a larger size, then a lot of the labels and fields would get cut off, and windows such as char sheets would be distorted and possibly have unreachable fields. As such, any font change capability would have to be built into a ruleset from the ground up, with multiple versions of every window for each text size.

Maybe a feature request to SmiteWorks for a per window zoom feature??

Also, I think if you just wanted to change the fonts in the chat window; you could potentially write some LUA to do that. It appears that each message written to the chat window has its own font. You could potentially catch all the messages in the onReceiveMessage handler, and then change to a larger font. Of course, you would need to provide all the new fonts, and add them to the ruleset too.

Cheers,
    JPG

Those buttons are added by the ruleset being run. That looks like a version of the 4E ruleset. The +/- are modifiers that the DM can make available to players so they can quickly drag and dropped to the mod box or hot keys before making rolls. Some common ones in 4E might be Combat Advantage, Cover/Concealment, Charge, ect.

Likewise the Humanoid shape is for effects, ie Blindness, Dazed, ect.

The check and box one is for options like how to configure various game items if you are running or playing.

The bad news on the chat window is while it’s not impossible to change, it can be very difficult to make significant changes to the chat window partly because it doubles as where the dice are rolled. Also some things are hard coded and not exposed to ruleset developers.

It would actually be easier to change character sheets and personalities because all that is exposed to the ruleset and can be modified or replaced.

One of the advantages FG has over other VTTs is it is pretty intuitive to use. Learning how to use hot keys and realizing that if in doubt try drag and dropping or right clicking will help a lot. Learning the features of the ruleset(s) you are planning on using will also help. Sitting in on a game or two might help too if you are planning on running.

One of the best things about playing online is not having to travel farther than your computer.

Hiya.

Thanks for the info guys. Too bad that FGII isn't more "user friendly" in terms of changing/adding stuff, but maybe that will come in FGIII...

Thread Information