DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Does anyone know what program...

Hi all,

Does anyone know what program the folks at WOTC use to create their maps for the dungeon adventures? And if not, what program makes the best maps? Preferably with a small learning curve.

Thanks,

Dan

Best and small learning curve???

I believe WOTC sometimes uses Campaign Cartographer by profantasy for many elements and perhaps map layout. Then the use post processing and other graphics programs to fill out the map and make it look right - probably photoshop.

If you're interested in maps check out the Cartographers Guild. Its a really great website with lots of tutorials and helpful people.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/

Good luck, Sigurd
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

They use their map tiles for the RPGA modules these fall in the not fancy but functional catagory. You can see and download these here: https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20061121t It is very simple to use this along with all tile based mappers. Just drag and drop.

There is also a Yahoo group with a later version an more tiles, but this will get you started. I use to belong to the group but I don't really use this so I quit and don't remember the name.

If you want something with a little more ump, but without the learning curve of Campaign Catographer then try Dungeon Forge or AutoRealm (they are both free google 'em).
    Last edited by Griogre; August 1st, 2009 at 19:56.

Sigurd: You really think they use CC? Are you guessing or do you have a source? Based on what I've seen, I don't think that's what they use... but you could be right that they're just tricking me with lots of post-processing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneZ
    Sigurd: You really think they use CC? Are you guessing or do you have a source? Based on what I've seen, I don't think that's what they use... but you could be right that they're just tricking me with lots of post-processing.
    From reading this thread over at the Cartographers Guild (https://forum.cartographersguild.com...t=mike+schley), D&D Freelance artist and Cartographer Mike Schley confirms he uses 100% photoshop for his maps (KotS, Thunderspire to name just a couple).
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Blog Entries
    And here's a work in progress view of my attempt at recreating Mike's classic 4e style basic tile maps in Photoshop.

Its a map for a dungeon delve I'm planning for one of my groups.

Its still missing loads of bits but the basic style is there.
    FG Project Development

Current Project:
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates

Very impressive, Zeph! This could pass as WotC-style easily, I think. I always thought the "glow" of the floor tiles was from Photoshop, not something like CC, which is why I was so sure it was not CC. You nailed that aspect, I think... your next test will be all the little furnishings and such. No idea where they get them; I assume they draw them by hand.

Even if the WOTC ones aren't, you can certainly do an inner glow with CC3...

Spyke
    Free GURPS tools for Fantasy Grounds at www.spyke.me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneZ
    Very impressive, Zeph! This could pass as WotC-style easily, I think. I always thought the "glow" of the floor tiles was from Photoshop, not something like CC, which is why I was so sure it was not CC. You nailed that aspect, I think... your next test will be all the little furnishings and such. No idea where they get them; I assume they draw them by hand.
    Thanks.

I'm planning to create a library of all the other items like doors, pits, furniture etc. Just waiting to pick up a new graphics tablet as these will need hand inking and I prefer to use a pen rather than a mouse.

Once I have completed all of the work for basic maps I'll make a step-by-step guide and release a basic image kit for anyone who wants to produce their own maps to scale.

Its also not as time consuming as it might sound to produce these as I use layers and masks to quickly re-redraw the earth, walls and colors. Took me about 30 mins to knock this one up. Throw in the remaining bits and pieces and the tile overlays and it should take no more than 1hr or so for a quick map.

Adding affects like rubble, dirt, bloodstains etc will take a bit of extra time due to the processing required. I am also working on a cobbled wall version similar to the style Mike used in KotS but again just waiting for a tablet as the detail is quite fine.
    Last edited by Zeus; August 1st, 2009 at 23:07.
    FG Project Development

Current Project:

RE CC - I am not suggesting that they slavishly build in CC then convert. Different freelancers have used different methods. I remember from conversations on Cart Guild that some of their cities have influences from the CC icon set. Some artists have planned cities in CC and then finished them with photoshop etc...

For the record, their level of production you almost have to use photoshop for some of the work.

On the cheap, you can accomplish a lot with 'The Gimp' as a replacement for Photoshop and 'Inkscape' or 'Paint.net' as a replacement for Illustrator.

Sigurd
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

Thread Information