DICE PACKS BUNDLE

4th edition questions

So I ran my first 4th edition game last night, which was also my first time running a game on FGII. At one point the paladin player was running low on hit points and wanted to do second wind to spend a healing surge, this takes your standard action and also gives you the +2 to all defenses, but he also wanted to spend his action point to get an action this turn... is this legal? I allowed it.

Also, can a player spend an action point after failing their first attack?

Thanks

This is more a question for Wizards Q&A forum but:

Spending an action point can be done at any point during your turn. You can do it before you use any actions, after you use all your actions, or at any time in between.

So both your listed cases are perfectly legal.

Page 286 of the PHB says you can spend an action point during your turn, so unless the next in line already started their turn, why couldn't you take your action point after the attack? I say allow it.

Thanks guys. The only part that seemed odd to me is that doing Second Wind gives you the +2 to all def, which is like going full defense to heal up, but then getting an attack anyway with the action point. I allowed it though.
    Last edited by TFWoods3; June 8th, 2009 at 17:25.

Keep in mind that they typically only have 1 action point to spend every few encounters so this won't be a common occurance. Also, when they take an extended rest, they lose any accumulated actions points. My group is yet to hold on to many action points as usually the need for a couple to take an extended rest outweighs the one person who has been able to collect 2 or 3 action points.

Also keep in mind PCs can only spend one action point per encounter. The players in one of my groups, because the have a tac warlord who gives them bonuses to hit and damage when spending actions points, almost always try to use daily or encounter powers when spending an action point.

Thread Information