STAR TREK 2d20

Two people, one computer

My friends only have one computer but there are two of them, possibly three if their son plays. Can we run different clients on one computer and switch between them?

The short answer is no. Even if you ran two clients you'd still have to fight over one keyboard.

Its possible to run more than one character from one client however. They could decide what "Their' was going to do.

Likely situation is that you'd have someone type for everyone during the non combat portion of the game. This person could change as they wished. During the combat encounters they could switch seats when their character came up.

In any case only running one client on a windows machine seems like a better use of system resources and simply more stable.

The program is not really super demanding of system resources or bandwidth, especially for the client. The big hurdle is DirectX9.0c which is necessary for the graphics to display. With more licenses, you can have more computers joining the game across the same internet connection. A little router\switch and some cheap computers would do you - if you have that interest.

Sigurd
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

Hmm. Technically its possible to have multiple clients connect to a server assuming they have different license keys. However, FG can have a single client run multiple characters. I suspect that would be a better solution to start if they have just one computer.

If your friends enjoy playing online, I suspect "his and her" computers are eventually going to happen because playing "hot seat" can be a bit anoying.

Edit out typed by Sigurd
    Last edited by Griogre; April 16th, 2009 at 20:00.

You can run one client and multiple characters. To do this, join the game and log on to one character as normal. You then go back to the character selection screen and open the other character. You switch between the characters by a right-click option on the character portraits.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Thank you. The one client and multiple characters should work. We will be using voice so that won't be a problem. I prefer using chat but I am more experienced with chatroom role play than they are.

This should work very well. We are currently watching the videos and they look wonderful. I can't wait to make a story.

MS Virtual PC or VMWare

You could run 3 low spec virtual PC's on one bit of hardware and flip between them. Thes could run of one USB drive so the player could carry their Virtual PC with them between PC's.

Not tried it but in theorey it should work.

VMWare and virtual environments can have problems with DirectX9.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

You go to characters (window) and have the GM delete ownership of the original computer or account then you can double click the character to take control. A single account can control multiple characters.

If switching the computer from person to person, or playing musical chairs becomes burdensome, you could connect the computer to the tv, and then mirror the screen to the tv (for big, easy viewing) and put one person on the computer to control their characters, and the other family members can simply tell them where to put the character.

Thread Information