DICE PACKS BUNDLE
View RSS Feed

The Mortar Pit

Lua is not my friend

Rate this Entry
Hey all...

Another installment from the Mortar Pit.

I am going into depths I have rarely gone before. I am delving into the world of lua. That crazy little programming language that makes rulesets and extensions work, and it wasn't long before I realized I suck at it

About a week ago I got asked in discord to help put together a language and font extension for a 5E campaign. Something I hadn't done before, but I'm all over it like flies on...well...you know.

I had managed to hack together a couple of themes in the past, this ought to be something I could puzzle out pretty quickly. I mean if somebody like Trenloe can make one I ought to be able to right?

Not so fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found a couple of language extensions on the forums, including one by the aforementioned Trenloe. I looked at them, looked at the lua scripts inside. Neither one was difficult to understand.

Not long after that I found myself in a test campaign in FG trying to figure out why this simple extension wasn't doing what I thought it should be doing.

Moon Wizard was in discord the other day telling me I need to look at X script and do Y...

I'm yelling back at my monitor... "I am doing Y with X script @#$%^&*()_#@$%"

My first mistake was made right off the get go. In all the time I have been using FG I have never used a an extension that added fonts or languages to the game, so I had no idea of what to expect with one of these extensions.

Danger Mortar!! Danger!!

The script may have been working properly (I got the languages added I think, but not the fonts) but it wouldn't have mattered.

Doesn't matter how simple or complex a project is if you don't know what the end goal is, and you'd think after 24 years in the infantry I would've known that

Time to go check out those extensions in a campaign and see how they are supposed to work. Then I can finish up this little learning project

There might be a few updates here too -- https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...onversion-List

Submit "Lua is not my friend" to Digg Submit "Lua is not my friend" to del.icio.us Submit "Lua is not my friend" to Google Submit "Lua is not my friend" to Facebook Submit "Lua is not my friend" to Twitter

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I feel your pain!
STAR TREK 2d20