STAR TREK 2d20
View RSS Feed

Rob2e's "Fantasy Grounds - The Experience!"

How Smiteworks and Fantasy Grounds CHANGED (SAVED?) MY LIFE!

Rate this Entry
Hey, everyone.

Those that know me already have this information, but some may not know...

Three years ago in August 2014, I had a liver transplant. While I was under the knife for 11 hours, my mother passed away. DURING SURGERY! Amazing. Tragic.

I had my surgery in Seattle, I was in the hospital 58 days. I came back to Spokane on Thanksgiving 2014 and proceeded to start my recovery through the holidays. I spent the first 3/4 of 2015 "looking into what I should do with my life". Mostly in my mind. I was a professional stand-up comedian and actor for 15 years. That was over now. Los Angeles was out of my system and I was very happy with the idea of living in my home town of Spokane. But I needed something TO DO!

Along comes Fantasy Grounds, and I became interested immediately! I had played D&D since 1981 and had never heard of Fantasy Grounds. I was ALL IN. As a matter of fact, I purchased the Ultimate License, and all the 5E material available from WotC at the time. This was September 2015. I was in for a few hundred dollars. The very next day, everything in the store went on sale. Had I waited a few hours, I could have saved myself a lot of money. I was heartbroken at my timing (being a comedian and all).

I emailed Doug Davison and explained I had just made a major purchase the day before the sale. Doug refunded my entire purchase and allowed me to rebuy everything at the sale price. Wow! I was hooked for life.

Not only was this a great software application for a Virtual Tabletop, but the people running Smiteworks (and the community for it) was great. I became involved.

I started to enter games, getting to know people and turned all of that into what it is today:

• I stream 6 days a week on Twitch exclusively Fantasy Grounds D&D 5E
  • I have over 30 items published on the DMs Guild and only one of them does not have a Fantasy Grounds component (including collaborations with other authors)
  • I currently have 14 titles in the Smiteworks store that I developed from third party companies (with more to come)
  • I have developed a Discord community and have collaborated with other DMs and players on various things
  • I'm even in a game with Doug Davison himself (Wednesday nights - Tales from the Yawning Portal)

So I found something to do! I have a purpose I absolutely love!

And tonight I will be clicking refresh refresh refresh at 9 pm PT because "Tomb of Annihilation"!

A big thank you to Doug Davison, Smiteworks, the community, and my fans! You all saved my life!

Submit "How Smiteworks and Fantasy Grounds CHANGED (SAVED?) MY LIFE!" to Digg Submit "How Smiteworks and Fantasy Grounds CHANGED (SAVED?) MY LIFE!" to del.icio.us Submit "How Smiteworks and Fantasy Grounds CHANGED (SAVED?) MY LIFE!" to Google Submit "How Smiteworks and Fantasy Grounds CHANGED (SAVED?) MY LIFE!" to Facebook Submit "How Smiteworks and Fantasy Grounds CHANGED (SAVED?) MY LIFE!" to Twitter

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That's a great read Rob, a great story that resonates with a lot of my heart and life as well,

I consider myself extremely fortunate to have found this community and all of you great people. It has completely changed how I live my life and the focus on my future and I wouldn't change a bit of it.
    And your game was a lifesaver for me, as it helped me return to my favourite hobby after 3 years of missing out due to moving to a new country and losing my regular teams. Cheers for FG!
    Thank you for sharing. Fantasy Grounds and D&D are helping me through a difficult time now too. Would love to join your discord community, sounds like a warm and fun place to be for D&D!
    Here's the link for Discord - https://discord.gg/77AuRY
    Here's a list of all my projects - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...bo0/edit#gid=0
    We are glad to have you in the community!

Also, it's been fun gaming with you so far as well.
    Thanks for sharing. And keep up your publishing on the DMsG, Good stuff Maynard!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavison
    We are glad to have you in the community!

Also, it's been fun gaming with you so far as well.
    It's my privilege Doug(las?)!
    ThanX everyone for your nice comments!
    Thanks for sharing
    Updated September 16th, 2017 at 17:50 by rob2e
    Thanks for sharing
    This is a great story Rob. Thanks for sharing!
    Great read, Rob. So sorry about your mom passing away. I'm a fellow Spokanite too, live in Airway Heights and work at the Spokane airport for Alaska Airlines. Thanks for sharing your story!
    Quote Originally Posted by Niles
    Great read, Rob. So sorry about your mom passing away. I'm a fellow Spokanite too, live in Airway Heights and work at the Spokane airport for Alaska Airlines. Thanks for sharing your story!
    Niles. Great to meet a fellow Spokanite. We should totally have lunch. Please email me if you would like to.
    rob DOT twohy AT gmail DOT com
    Quote Originally Posted by rob2e
    Niles. Great to meet a fellow Spokanite. We should totally have lunch. Please email me if you would like to.
    rob DOT twohy AT gmail DOT com
    Rob, sounds good! Check your email.
DICE PACKS BUNDLE