Fantasy Grounds Fridays Pre

Blog Comments

I was once paid to run a weekly game. At first it felt strange and odd to be paid for something I would have done for free. The people I was playing with insisted on paying for the game. I did have an initial worry that if I was too hard on them during the game that they would not want to play any longer. That was quickly dispelled the first time I killed one of the characters in what should have been a mundane battle with a mid-boss fight. They loved it and the player rolled a new character. I was no more lenient in the gameplay than I would have been in a "free" game. Any paid GM should hold a session 0 like any other game and outline this guidance and establish their expectations versus the group's. In the end if they want easy mode, then they get what they paid. I don't believe most people feel that way.
    Here is the key thing. I would have never become friends with this group playing online. They were all friends looking for an experience in playing this game. I was the facilitator of the game, and they were paying me to remain committed to providing original content and running the game. In the end it was a pure business transaction. We all had fun and I pocketed some extra money.
    In the end, I see nothing wrong with my time, which is the only commodity we have to barter with, being paid for.
    I currently run a "free" game with people I'll probably never become true friends with, but we have fun together. In the end I see no difference between running a free game and getting paid to run a game with strangers on the internet. The analogy that you wouldn't pay to play a game is a bit flawed as I'm sure many of us have spent money to rent a table or played games at a shop and bought something while we are there. It is not unheard to reward the people who sponsor games. The paid GM is just a more direct way to get that result.
    Something very, very cool
    Press here
    Press here
    I've found that its best to create for only one person. Because the time, love and effort you put into it will probably only be best appreciated by that person, you.
    Press here
    Press here
Joshua Stream Pre