DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Blog Comments

Don't forget that the weights I used were based on historical coins, not modern ones - a 10g coin was a very heavy coin for its day

But yeah, I like to ask my players similar questions (its also good for when they've got very expensive rugs to get out of the dungeon )
    Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz
    Yeah, I always felt that was to heavy for a coin. One of the DnD versions (I can't remember which one) said 100 coins per pound, and another Fantasy RGP has said 150 coins per pound.

As I said in my post I like to be "historically" accurate, but in all honesty as long as you're consistent I don't really think it matters
    True, consistency is key. But don't forget that modern coins are using alloys to make them light, maybe back in the day they were actually heavier. 10g a coint for the 50 to 1lb doesn't sound too bad although you have 3.5g

I just wanted something for when my PC's find 100,000 cp and say we will take them :-) I like to ask how
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedreamer
    I did a weight calculator for 5e and 4e. The PHB does say 50 coins to 1lb

http://www.bluedreamer.com/money/
    Yeah, I always felt that was to heavy for a coin. One of the DnD versions (I can't remember which one) said 100 coins per pound, and another Fantasy RGP has said 150 coins per pound.

As I said in my post I like to be "historically" accurate, but in all honesty as long as you're consistent I don't really think it matters

Been a long time since I listened to this, now I can't stop.
    I did a weight calculator for 5e and 4e. The PHB does say 50 coins to 1lb

http://www.bluedreamer.com/money/
    That is the first time I have ever seen the beer comparison brought into that. Love it!
    Oh. BTW. I was mystified, saddened, ..., something, when I saw your post back in January, I think it was: "I am outta here!" to do other things. I hope you're found a way to do both, FG and other things. And welcome back.
    I believe there is an accolades meter at least on the blogs: the view count. If one is obcessed with the view count, one my be an accolades addict. I try not to look at the view count, but it is hard to ignore. Especially given the time it takes to write a blog, at least for me. One post took me nearly an entire day, writing, rewriting and editing, polishing. When one puts that much effort into a piece of writing one would like to know if anyone is out there. There are some great blogs here, some with some very help information (this isn't a plug!). One day I sat down and read every blog on the FG site, all the way back to the first one. There are some great ones there, marching their way into obscurity. Keep up the good work!
    Well i hope that my post didn't give you all the impression that I was gloating. I just wanted to share with other DM's the cool feedback you can get from long time players. Also something I always remiond my players is that it is the party group in a whole that makes the difference. A DM is nothing without the players

Pat
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianLurker
    To your points I'd add one more - from the internal GM side.

Always Learning To Be Better
    This ties into a couple of your points, but isn't quite the same as any of them. The Master GM is always learning something to help make themselves better; maybe its playing a new game system to examine new mechanics or story-telling techniques. Maybe its taking a creative writing course to help them write better stories. Or reading something in sociology or history to add that layer of versimilitude to the game. Or acting courses. Or reading RPG blogs. They're always striving to be better. It's why they're humble - so much more to learn.
    I agree - Very nicely put!
    To your points I'd add one more - from the internal GM side.

Always Learning To Be Better
    This ties into a couple of your points, but isn't quite the same as any of them. The Master GM is always learning something to help make themselves better; maybe its playing a new game system to examine new mechanics or story-telling techniques. Maybe its taking a creative writing course to help them write better stories. Or reading something in sociology or history to add that layer of versimilitude to the game. Or acting courses. Or reading RPG blogs. They're always striving to be better. It's why they're humble - so much more to learn.
    I am from continental Europe, but this made me laugh really hard.
    This is a pretty cool blog. I'd like to share something I received from one of my players.
    https://hprbpw.dm2301.livefilestore....&cropmode=none
    Everyone is looking for different things from their role playing experience and often everyone in teh group will want for slightly (or more than slightly) different things from their gaming. Some love the crunch, some love the opera and others love the system. I reckon youve captured all of that above.
    This is brilliant!
    Dulux-oz, you're a kindred spirit.
    Actually its from a Fantasy Author who wrote a piece for White Dwarf Magazine (where this is from) back in the mid-80's when White Dwarf was a serious contender against Dragon Magazine for the best (general) RPG-based hobby mag.

Alas, those were the days - DnD was only 1E, WFRP was just released, RuneQuest3 was out, Middle Earth Role-Play had hit the shelves, Traveler was the top SF RPG with Star Frontiers and Gamma World nipping at its heals, Star Wars was d6 from West End Games, Twilight 2000/Merc 2000 was blowing us out of our minds for our Modern RPG, Call of Cthulhu was sending us happily insane, Paranoia was happily chewing through our 6-paks (of clones), and Shadowrun had just knocked Cyberpunk off the top spot for most popular cyberpunk RPG - and White Dwarf (& Dragon) covered them all, along with movie and book reviews (Terry Pratchett's 2nd Discworld novel The Light Fantastic was the first book I ever bought from a review, and now I've got the whole Discworld set) and a whole lot more. <sigh />

You should read the rest of my blog posts - you'll enjoy them as well
    dulox-oz I'm thinking that whoever wrote this is a player either in your FG campaign or in some sort of forum play-by-post game you are moderating? Either way I envy you, this is a player I would LOVE to have around as a GM ! :P

(got curious about Niles after he sent me a very nice PM so started checking his posts - I know I know, total stalker :P .. and came across this gem )
    Cake! Cake has layers!

Or parfait - I like parfait too - and WAFFLES!

(God, I am such a Geek!)

I'm glad you like the blog post, but I can't take credit for it: as I said at the end of part 2, its something that was written by someone else - still, I liked it enough to share with people here.
    Updated July 6th, 2015 at 01:43 by dulux-oz
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last
STAR TREK 2d20