FG Spreadshirt Swag
View RSS Feed

Phystus

1. Reuniting: Keeping Track of NPC's, Part II

In my last post I talked a bit about how I use a database of NPC’s in my campaign. Today we’ll delve into the details. We’ll talk a little about the platform and the software, then we’ll get into what information needs to be included. We’ll finish up by talking a little more about other ways to use it.

Throughout this discussion I will refer to our collection of NPC data as a “database”, even though we may or may not really be using relational database software to store the information.

Updated December 16th, 2016 at 15:20 by Phystus (Oops, missed a section!)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Reuniting: Keeping Track of NPC's

Very early on in my DM days (1980) I realized that I was terrible at making up fantasy names on the spot. It often happened that a PC would unexpectedly strike up a conversation with some blacksmith’s apprentice or farmer’s wife, and all of a sudden I would need a name for an NPC for whom I had no details whatsoever. Every time, my mind would freeze up and all I could come up with were painfully normal names.

Me: “Uh, the apprentice’s name is, uh, um, Fred”
    Player: “Fred?
  3. Reuniting the Band: Step Aboard the Holodeck!

As I mentioned in one of my early posts I got Fantasy Grounds in order to restart my old AD&D campaign from 1990. Happily, I was able to recruit enough previous players and old friends to get started. We did a bit of testing, got VOIP chat working, and I got some tokens and maps made up. The characters were converted to D&D 3.5, and enough NPC’s were converted to get us started. I had written up some handouts about the campaign setting, and the basics of combat in 3.5,
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Elderly Fire Elemental

The other day I was perusing the Monster Manual for a suitable foe for the party, and my eye wandered across the listing for "Elder Fire Elemental". But for whatever reason, my brain read it as "Elderly Fire Elemental", which made me giggle. The idea kept bouncing around in my skull for a couple days, so I knew I had to write it down.

So without further ado, here it is. Enjoy!

Fire Elemental, Elderly
    Huge Elemental
    Hit Dice:
    Tags: humor, monster
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Huge... Tracts of Land!

My, how the time flies! But I’m back, and I’m going to cover one final aspect of mapping - making maps in smaller scales than the typical 5' per square of a D&D battle map.

By “smaller scale” I mean a map of a larger area. Map scale is expressed as a ratio. For instance, a 1"=5' D&D battlemap would be a 1:60 scale (1 inch on the map equals 60 inches on the ground). A map at the scale of 1" equals 1 mile (63360 inches) would be 1:63360. Since 1/60 is a larger
    Tags: mapping
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
DICE PACKS BUNDLE