DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Blog Comments

Your song sounds amazing
    territorial io
    Again nice reading "Phystus" thank you
    Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! How does it work out to have different people taking notes each week? I've got a player or two who wouldn't be very enthused about the job.

I kind of like the Facebook idea, except that some of my players don't do FB. It does seem like a good recruitment tool, though.
    Great post. I have someone different recap each week, someone takes notes and we have a Face Book page were a recap is posted. This serves as a remembrance to the players and also engages our friends we use to play with but cannot attend.
    For me too.
    I've had that happen too. It's nice to know I'm not alone!
    I like the recap before starting a new session - - but occasionally if my notes are not great I'm telling them in my recap some weeks later something I believe happened and was supposed to have happened but might not in fact have yet happened.
    I like read your blogs "P[B][I]hystus[/I][/B]" and comments today are creative too ;o)
    Inspiration. It's so benign, but the players love it[
    Of course, steal away. That's what the best do!

Yea, two of my regulars hate to write, so I'm happy when I get that much from them. Others, well, they might write a 5000 word backstory!
    That's a great idea! I think you've really struck a nice balance there by only asking for a few sentences. It forces them to do a little backstory, but doesn't demand too much from folks who don't enjoy writing. I hope you don't mind if I steal it.
    I like it. It's something I've thought about before, but never in such a defined way. I will definitely be thinking more on it.

One thing I typically do with new characters is to have the player give me the names and one-two sentence(s) about 3 different people from their character backstory. Just this little bit of detail helps me weave their character into the world, not just the story of the party.

And then, when they encounter one of these characters, or someone who knows one of those characters, they are like "Hey, my backstory actually matters!"
    Amen! The funny thing is, they keep going back to visit these completely unimportant NPC's. I'm not sure what they're expecting, maybe they think someday they'll give the party a treasure map or something.

On the other hand, it can make for some great roleplaying. We played out a large-scale battle a while back, and one of the shopkeepers that the party was friendly with was badly hurt. The party was aghast! They insisted that the cleric run over and heal him immediately, even though several of the party were hurt as well (albeit not as badly). It was nice to see.
    LordEntrails, the idea of a decal for the GM screen is interesting. I currently use a map of the campaign area for the decal, and I'm not sure I'd want to sacrifice that to have the screen data, but it's still an interesting idea. I have looked at the Locations extension. At this point in the life of my campaign the detailing of cities, etc. is mostly done, and they're in module form now, so I haven't been real eager to invest the time in switching them to the location extension format.

Grey Mage, I looked at RW at Gencon some years back. It looked promising, but also looked far from ready for release at the time. In fact, it was another year or two before it became available. I needed something in the meantime, so this is what I ended up with. I suppose I could convert, but I've done enough data conversion projects in my professional life, and I have no interest in doing them in my spare time as well. With all that said, it sound like RW really did live up to its potential, so I'm glad of that. If I were starting fresh today I would strongly consider it.

To me, the most important thing is to organize your NPC's in some way, whether that's with custom software, a database, a spreadsheet, or whatever. Having quick access to a who's who of everyone in the campaign can really help increase the player's immersion in the setting, while reducing the stress and workload for the GM. That makes the game better for everyone.
    Good post...

As a KS backer of Realm Works I can say that there is NOTHING out there that comes close to it in functionality and utility. I replaced a 20,000+ page personal wiki with it and have never regretted it.

Totally recommend you give it some time.
    Good ideas. Thanks for sharing.

A couple of things, In FG, to replace the old GM screen there are two ideas I've seen implemented. Both are for 5E, so you would have to make your own, but...
    - A custom Decal, see my 5E Reference Decal extension
    - A FAQ type reference module, see; http://www.dmsguild.com/product/196704/FAQs

Another thing, though it's aimed at locations, it's almost what you need right in Fg, the DOE: Locations extension. Worth taking a minute to read about.
    After all, I knew these NPC’s names, so they must be important somehow, right?
    This is so true. PCs the world over always think the same don't they?
    Thanks for sharing. Maybe we can get a couple of screen grabs of what you ended up creating?
    I'm glad you enjoyed it! Oddly enough the player who runs the bard isn't much of a singer, so she just pops them up as notes. Either way, it's a great addition to the fun. She recently got the Song of Freedom ability, so she had to break out the Bob Marley!
    Oh my goodness this gave me such a chuckle! The bard in my group often likes writing songs after our sessions and then singing them to us in future sessions! I'll have to show him this This was awesome!
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
FG Spreadshirt Swag